The Constitution empowers the Supreme Court and High Courts to issue orders or writs as mentioned below:
- HABEAS CORPUS: It is an order by the court to the state to produce the person physically before it justifies the confinement or release of the person.
- MANDAMUS: It is a command or an order from a superior court to a subordinate court or tribunal or public authority to perform its duty in case it is not doing it.
- PROHIBITION: It is an order issued by the Superior Court to forbid a subordinate court or tribunal from proceeding with a case that is beyond its jurisdiction.
- QUO WARRANTO: This writ is issued to restrain a person from acting in a public office to which he /she is not entitled.
- CERTIORARI: The term certiorari means “to be informed of what is going”. It is an order to a lower court from a superior court to transfer the matter to it or to any other court for deciding the matter.