The essential conditions of political democracy are as follows:
- Having a Constitution that vests supreme power in the people and protects fundamental rights, such as equality, liberty of thought and expression, belief, movement, communication and association.
- Having universal adult franchise as the basis of electing representatives.
- Having a responsible government in which the executive is answerable to the legislature and the legislature to the people.
The essential conditions of social and economic democracy are as follows:
- The system ensuring social development that is in tune with democratic values and norms reflecting equality of social status, social security and social welfare.
- The system facilitating a situation where the fruits of economic development reach all and especially the poor and deprived sections of the society.
Further Reading :