The ‘Preamble’ of the Constitution of India is a brief introductory statement that sets out the guiding purpose and principles of the document, and it indicates the source from which the document which derives its authority, meaning, the people. It was adopted on 26 November 1949 by the Constituent Assembly and came into effect on 26th January 1950.
As a part of the Indian Polity of IAS Exam, it makes an important section. Hence, this article will talk about Preamble to the Constitution and provide you with the preamble of Indian constitution notes PDF. You can also read about the Objective Resolution which is, in the modified version, reflected in the Preamble of India.
|Aspirants can cover important topics of UPSC Syllabus now, by checking the important links mentioned below:|
Preamble of India – Objective Resolution
In 1946, Objective Resolution was moved by Jawaharlal Nehru, describing constitutional structure. on 1947 (22nd January) it was adopted. It shaped the Constitution of India and its modified version is reflected in the Preable of the Indian Constitution. The basic tenets that the objective resolution highlighted were:
- Constituent Assembly’s resolve to see India as independent, sovereign and republic
- To draw a Constitution for India
- To make all territories of the pre-independent India into a united states of post-independent India
- To realize residual powers, autonomy on such states as the Constitution of India reflects
- To realize union with the power which will be different than those given to such states
- The people of India to play the source of power and authority of the sovereignty, and the independence
- To provide justice, social, economic and political equality of status of opportunity and, freedom of thought,
expression, belief, faith, worship, vocation, association and action, subject to law and public
morality before the law
- To provide adequate safeguards to the minorities, tribal and backward areas and other depressed and backward classes
- To maintain the integrity of the Indian republic’s territory and its territorial rights on land, sea, air according to the justice and law of the civilized nation
- To promote the peace and welfare among the worldly nations.
The topic, ‘Preamble of India’ is an important one for Indian Polity subject. Questions can be asked from it in both prelims and mains. To see what kind of questions have been asked before, you can check Polity questions of UPSC Mains GS 2.
Preamble of India – Facts for UPSC
|Is preamble a part of Indian Constitution?||Yes, it is a part of the Indian constitution, also emphasized in Kesavananda Bharti Case.|
|Who wrote the preamble of India?||The preamble of India contains tenets highlighted in the Objective Resolution drafted by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1946|
|How many preamble does Indian Constitution have?||Only 1 preamble along with 22 parts and 12 schedules and 448 articles, Indian Constitution today exists|
|What is the most important word in the Preamble of India?||Though no particular word has been given more importance than others, however, ‘We, the people of India’ are the words which are termed as the most powerful in the Preamble to the Indian Constitution|
|Why do we need a Preamble?||It gives us a fundamental values and highlights of the Constitution|
|In which case, did the Supreme Court declare passed a judgement that Preamble is not a part of Indian Constitution?||In Berubari Case (1960), SC declared Preamble not to be a part of Indian Constitution|
The hopes and aspirations of the people, as well as the ideals before our nation, are described in the preamble in clear cut words. It may be considered as the soul of the Constitution. The preamble can be referred to as the preface which highlights the entire Constitution.
Interesting Facts about Preamble of Indian Constitution
- It was enacted after the enactment of the entire Constitution of India
- The term ‘secular’ was added to the Preamble of the Indian Constitution by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act of 1976.
- The Preamble secures to all citizens of India liberty of belief, faith and worship
- Ideal of justice (social, economic and political) in the Preamble are borrowed from the Soviet Union (Russia) Constitution
- Republic and the ideals of liberty, equality and fraternity are borrowed from the French Constitution
- Preamble, in itself, has been first introduced through the American Constitution
Four Main Ingredients of the Indian Preamble
The source of the Indian Constitution, nature of the Indian State, the objectives of the Constitution of India & the date of adoption of the Indian State, are four main ingredients of the Indian Preamble which you can read about in the table below:
|Preamble to the Indian Constitution|
|Source of the Indian Constitution||The People of India are revealed to be the source of the authority of the Indian Constitution. The words, ‘We, the People of India’ reflect the same.|
|Nature of the Indian State||The Preamble of India tags India as the sovereign, secular, republic, secular and democratic nation|
|Objective of the Indian Constitution||Justice, Liberty, Equality and Fraternity are denoted as the objectives of the Preamble of India|
|Adoption Date of the Constitution of India||November 26, 1949 as the date when then the Indian Constitution|
Keywords in the Preamble of the Indian Constitution
There are some important keywords in the Preamble of India like:
Aspirants can get Consitution questions of UPSC Mains GS 2 in the linked article.
Aspirants can read the below-mentioned articles related to Indian Constitution:
|Overview of Indian Constitution||Important Articles in Indian Constitution||Sources of Indian Constitution|
|Important Amendments in Indian Constitution||Constituent Assembly of India||Types of Writs in Indian Constitution|