Important elements of Drought Prone Area Programme:
- Providing employment to the people in drought-prone areas and creating productive assets.
- Initially, this programme laid emphasis on the construction of labour-intensive civil works. But later on, it emphasised irrigation projects, land development programmes, afforestation, grassland development and creation of basic rural infrastructures such as electricity, roads, market, credit and services.
- This programme is largely confined to the development of agriculture and allied sectors with a major focus on the restoration of ecological balance.
- Adoption of integrated watershed development approach at the micro-level.
- The restoration of ecological balance between water, soil, plants, and human and animal population is a basic consideration in the strategy of development of drought-prone areas.