Atal Community Innovation Centers have been launched to encourage a spirit of entrepreneurship in the underserved/unserved regions of India by providing enabling infrastructure and facilitating an environment for innovation. ACIC saw it to be crucial to reach the innovators at the bottom of the pyramid and give them equitable opportunities, especially by reducing the lab to land distance and creating a space for pre-incubation of ideas/solutions.
Building Blocks of an ACIC:
- Focus is on the Unserved and Underserved regions in India in terms of idea generation, promotion of innovations and innovators at the grassroots level.
- The physical space of the ACIC provides a gateway for experimentation, engagement and participation. Financial assistance of 2.5 crores is provided to the ACIC for running space, innovation and outreach operations.
- Aspiring entrepreneurs in the pre-incubation process will be provided directional training and mentoring by a business or research experts in making their ideas viable
- ACIC will nurture SDG innovations and entrepreneurial ventures. The aspiring innovators in the community will be educated about the SDGs and innovations and entrepreneurial ventures catering to SDG transformations.
- Knowledge of design methods and their integration into industry and government can help people articulate latent needs and find local solutions to these needs.
- Diversifying finances and networking can build a competitive and more productive ecosystem of development and progress