The Association of Teachers in Biological Services (ATBS), in collaboration with the Homi Bhabha Center for Science Education (HBCSE) and the Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT), conducts the National Standard Examination in Biology (NSEB). The National Standard Examination Board administers the NSEB examinations (NSE).
The NSEB test is part of the NSE (National Standard Examination), which organises national scientific olympiads to promote students, and provide a platform for them to compete in international competitions. Students who have not completed Class 12 are eligible to take this exam. The NSEB is conducted in a paper-based format. In this article, we’ve covered all you need to know about the NSEB 2022-2023 test, including the curriculum, exam structure, eligibility requirements, and more.
NSEB Exam Highlights
|Exam Conducting Body||Association of Teachers in Biological Services (ATBS)
Homi Bhabha Center for Science Education (HBCSE)
Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT)
|Eligibility||Students below Class 12|
|Aim||To assist students in putting their Science knowledge to the test by competing against other students|
|Mode of Application/ Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Exam Difficulty Level||Intermediate|
|Exam Duration||2 Hours|
NSEB 2021-22: Examination Dates
|NSEB-2022 enrollment ending date||31-10-2021|
|NSEB exam date||13-03-2022|
NSEB 2022: National Standard Examination in Biology Stages
- The NSEB is held to assess students’ biology skills and provide them with a platform to compete in international Olympiads. The NSEB Olympiad is divided into five phases. All the phases are mentioned here in detail:
- The NSEB (National Standard Examination in Biology) is the first stage, and all students in grades 1 to 12 are entitled to participate after enrolling for the tests.
- The Indian National Olympiad or Indian National Biology Olympiad is the second stage of the exam, and only 300 qualified students who scored higher than others are allowed to compete. INBO is held at 15 locations around the country.
- In Biology, Stage 3 is the Orientation cum Selection Camp (OCSC), when the top 35 students from the merit list are chosen.
- The top four students go to Stage 4, also known as Pre-Departure Training Camp (PDT). The training will last two weeks.
- Students in Stage 5 compete in the International Biology Olympiad (IBO), and represent their school and country on a global scale.
NSEB 2022 Eligibility Criteria
Here are the details of the NSEB Eligibility criteria.
- You must be able to obtain an Indian passport.
- Candidates should be born between January 1, 2007, and December 31, 2008, both days inclusive for meeting the eligibility criteria for National Standard Examination In Biology 2022.
- Must have lived and studied in India from November 30, 2019, or before OR be currently enrolled in an Indian educational system.
- By June 1, 2022, you must not have started (or plan to start) studies at a university or comparable institution.
- Class XII board test or equivalent must not have been passed (or expected to be completed) before November 30, 2021.
- It is not permitted to appear in NSEJS 2021.
Registration for NSEB 2022
The Nationwide Science Education Board (NSEB) is a national test for students interested in studying or pursuing Biology. Check the details of the NSEB Application form and it is vital to remember that students who want to take NSEB examinations must first register by completing the procedures below:
- Students must enrol via their individual schools or institutions.
- Students must complete the registration forms issued by their respective schools or institutions.
- They must submit a completed application form along with a registration fee of INR 100.
- The registration costs will not be reimbursed after they have been paid.
- If the registration forms are not completed correctly, students will be denied the opportunity to take the NSEB examinations, and would be automatically disqualified.
- If their individual school/college is not registered with the NSE centre, students can register themselves at a neighbouring centre.
Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme for NSEB 2022
Before taking the exam, students should familiarise themselves with the NSEB exam format. The NSEB test pattern is crucial because it allows students to create a realistic picture of the exam day. Exam format and marking scheme for NSEB examinations 2021-22 are listed below:
|Total Number of Questions||80|
|Types of Question||Multiple-choice Question (MCQs) with negative marking|
|Language/ Medium of Paper||English/Hindi (To have opted during registration)|
|Syllabus||Based on CBSE|
- Biology is the main emphasis of the NSEB test.
- The paper’s duration is 2 hours, which is the time limit.
- There are 80 questions in all.
- The paper’s primary language is English, with Hindi as an alternative.
- The NSEB exam’s grading method is +3 for each right response, -1 for each incorrect response, and 0 for no effort.
- A student can get a maximum score of 240 points.
NSEB Syllabus and Topics
Check the details of the NSEB Syllabus and topics here.
|1||Diversity Of Living||
|2||Structural Organization in Animals and Plants||
|3||Cell: Structure and Function||
|6||Reproduction In Organisms||
|7||Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants||
|10||Principles Of Inheritance And Variation||
|11||Molecular Basis of Inheritance||
|13||Human Health And Diseases||
|14||Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production||
|15||Microbes in Human Welfare||
|16||Biotechnology – Principles and Processes||
|17||Biotechnology and Its Applications||
|18||Organisms and Populations||
|20||Biodiversity and Its Conservation||
NSEB Admit Card 2022
Students will be able to get their NSEB examination admission card through the IAPT’s official website, iapt.org.in. All students must go to the official website and download the admission card by inputting all of their necessary information. The NSEB 2021-22 admission card will include the student’s information as well as information about the exam, such as the name of the exam, the date and time of the exam, the exam centre, and so on. Students should have their admission cards attested by the school administration or the centre in charge. Additionally, students must bring their admission cards to the examination centres.
NSEB Result 2022
Around the 25th of December, tentative scores for all applicants taking the NSEB are posted on the IAPT website. On the 1st January of the following year, the final result for NSE, i.e., the merit list, is posted on the IAPT website. The NSEB result sheet includes the student’s name, ID, roll number, residence, and school name. All qualified applicants can download the results and print them out for future reference.