We have learned about various science projects in our previous article. In this session, let us learn how to do bridge construction for school projects in a simple way. We are going to explain bridge construction with easily available materials. Let us go through the process of the bridge-building project for the school.
Table of Contents:
What is a Bridge?
A bridge is a structure providing passage over an obstacle without blocking the path beneath. The obstacles to be passed may be a river, railway, or a valley. Planning for a bridge construction requires excessive planning as it impacts the lives of people hugely. Technological, social, and scientific dimensions should be considered for bridge construction. In this article, for you to better understand the factors that need to be taken care of while constructing a bridge we have listed a bridge construction project that you can try at home.
Bridge Building Project
The main aim of the project is to know about the physics coming under the construction of bridges. By this experiment, a student should be able to develop a clear understanding of which shapes are considered to be structurally strong, and the factors behind the bridge construction.
- Popsicle sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Items with an equal weight such as cans of soup, small weights can be used to test the strength of the bridge
- Camera (optional)
- Make use of Popsicle sticks, Toothpicks, Spaghetti, in order to construct the bridge. Draw a rough design in your notebook.
- The three bridges you draw should have the same distance. Also, choose the distance as to how long the bridge would be and make use of 2 chairs to set the distance.
- Make use of your creativity and draw three bridges of the same design and span between the two chairs.
- Make a note of all the challenges you come across and as much material is used in the notebook.
- Next, try to start adding weight to each of the bridges and record the withstanding strength of each of the bridges.
Compare with the original designs and find out the forces and tension acting on the bridge and based on these aspects the bridge would be constructed.
Hope you have learned the DIY way of bridge construction in this article.
For more information on CBSE exams, syllabus and notifications, stay tuned with BYJU’S. At BYJU’S, CBSE students are also provided with the latest sample papers, question papers, worksheets, and other exam materials to help them learn in a better way.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is a bridge?
List some five types of bridges.
- Suspension Bridge
- Arch Bridge
- Cantilever Bridge
- Beam Bridge
- Cable-Stayed Bridge
What are the uses of bridges?
- It is used for crossing rivers.
- It connects one place with another since they allow people or vehicles to cross.