What is a Bridge?
A bridge is a structure providing passage over an obstacle without blocking the path beneath. The obstacles to be passed may be a river, railway or a valley. Planning for a bridge construction requires excessive planning as it impacts the lives of people hugely. Technological, social and scientific dimensions should be considered for bridge construction. In this article, for you to better understand the factors that need to be taken care of while constructing a bridge we have listed a bridge construction project that you can try at home.
Bridge Building Project
The main aim of the project is to know about the physics coming under the construction of bridges. By this experiment, a student should be able to develop a clear understanding of which shapes are considered to be structurally strong, and the factors behind the building of bridges.
- Popsicle sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Items with equal weight such as cans of soup, small weights can be used to test the strength of the bridge
- Camera (optional)
- Make use of Popsicle sticks, Toothpicks, Spaghetti, in order to construct the bridge. Draw a rough design in your notebook.
- The three bridges you draw should have the same distance. Also, choose the distance as to how long the bridge would be and make use of 2 chairs to set the distance.
- Make use of your creativity and draw three bridges of the same design and span between the two chairs.
- Make a note of all the challenges you come across and as much material is used in the notebook.
- Next, try to start adding weight to each of the bridges and record the withstanding strength of each of the bridge.
Compare with the original designs and find out the forces and tension acting on the bridge and based on these aspects the bridge would be constructed.
For more information on CBSE exams, syllabus and notifications, stay tuned with BYJU’S. At BYJU’S, CBSE students are also provided with the latest sample papers, question papers, worksheets and other exam materials to help them learn in a better way.