The Board of Secondary Education was established in the year 1951. On 3rd May 1951. The Board was inaugurated by the then Governor of West Bengal Dr. KN Katju. The basic task before the Board was twofold.
- To regulate, control and develop secondary education of the State
- To conduct the School Final Examination.
Previously, the above responsibilities are taken care of by Calcutta University. In 1964, the Board was renamed as West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. The Board has also taken up the publication of textbooks for different classes as well according to approval to books from private authors and publishers for their introduction in different schools including books in Santhali (a tribal language), Nepali and Urdu catering to specific linguistic demands.
A panel of independent experts has been appointed to research and review textbooks and to ensure strict quality control and maintain the standard. To cater to the ever increasing demand, the Board timely reconstructs the syllabi with the help of an independent panel of experts. To cope up with the modern demand, the Board introduced subjects like Information Technology Computer Application and Hardware Management which are being offered as additional subjects in the schools.
The Board also conducts teachers’ orientation to equip them with the changes in the syallbi and teaching techniques. In the year 2003, the Board began its programme for Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) for the students at the elementary level (VI to VIII).
The West Bengal Board of Secondary Education performs the following functions.
- All sorts of examinations and other administrative works save the management of schools is being done by the four Regional Council offices in Kolkata, Burdwan, Midnapore and North Bengal from 1974.
- Conducting of Camp Offices in districts for distribution of examination related papers to the students and the concerned schools.
- Publication of results of Secondary Examination in the Website.
- Operating help-lines during the examination.
- Publication of Parshad Barta, an organ of the Board (from December 1974) which acts as a forum for sharing of experiences and views.
Click the link below to get revised Syllabus, Textbooks, Question papers of West Bengal Board for class 7: