Before going to teach the different types of nouns to children, it is important that parents/teachers help them develop a clear understanding of nouns. In layman’s terms, nouns are names of persons, animals/birds, places or things. You can find several nouns worksheets at our BYJU’S website, which students can practise to strengthen their grip on the concept. Once they know about nouns, it will be easier for them to understand the different types of nouns.
Types of Nouns
There are five different categories into which nouns can be divided. Knowing the different types of nouns will help the students to easily identify them in the types of nouns worksheets. Let’s have a look at five different types of nouns.
- Common Nouns – Common nouns refer to the generalised names of persons, animals/birds, places and things, which means there’s no particular name given. For example, “The child is playing with his toy”. Here, the toy and child are examples of common nouns.
- Proper Nouns – Proper nouns refer to the particular names of persons, animals/birds, places and things. For example, “The National Museum is in Kolkata.” Here, the National Museum is the specific name of the museum, and Kolkata is the name of the city.
- Collective Nouns – Collective nouns refer to those nouns where a group/number of persons, places, animals/birds or things are referred to as one. For example, “The herd of cattle was grazing in the field”. Here, the herd is the collective noun.
- Concrete Nouns – Concrete Nouns are those types of nouns that refer to persons or things that have physical existence/structure and are perceived by all the five senses. For example, “The table is very high”. Here, the table is a concrete noun as it has a physical presence.
- Abstract Nouns – Abstract nouns are those types of nouns that don’t have any definite structure or physical presence. They generally refer to emotions, ideas, feelings, concepts etc. For example, “The youth of the country plays an important role in the country’s growth”. Here, youth is an example of an abstract noun.
Apart from these five major categories, nouns can be generally divided into two categories, namely countable and uncountable nouns.
- Countable Nouns – Countable nouns are those that are countable in nature; it includes nouns in their plural and singular forms. For example, “There are lots of children at the birthday party.” Here, ‘children’ is a countable noun.
- Uncountable Nouns – Uncountable nouns mean nouns that are uncountable in nature but in some cases can be measured by their quantity. For example, “The sky is filled with stars.” Here, ‘stars’ is an uncountable noun.
Knowing these different types of nouns will help the kid to solve types of nouns worksheet pdf and strengthen their concepts. For more Kids Learning activities similar to Worksheets for Kids, visit BYJU’S website.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs)
What are the different types of nouns?
Nouns can be classified into common nouns, proper nouns, collective nouns, concrete nouns and abstract nouns. Further, nouns can be generally classified as countable and uncountable nouns.
Where to find types of nouns worksheet?
BYJU’S offers multiple types of nouns worksheet that parents/teachers can download for their children’s practice.
|Possessive Nouns Worksheet||Proper Nouns Worksheet|
|Compound Nouns Worksheet||Material Noun Worksheet|