What is a Chronic Disease?
The chronic disease is the disease that occurs gradually and lasts for years, maybe an entire lifetime. Typically, when disease persists for three months, it is categorized as a chronic disease. It causes severe damage to the organs and organ systems, affecting the quality of life.
Some chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases, can be controlled by regular participation in physical activity, eating healthy, quit smoking, reducing the consumption of alcohol, etc.
List of Chronic diseases
The most common chronic diseases are described below:
- Arthritis: The wear and tear of joints such as knees, hips, and wrist.
- Cancer: It is the uncontrolled growth of cells in the body.
- Stroke: It is the blockage of blood flow to the brain.
- Heart Attack: It is the blockage of blood flow to the heart.
- Obesity: Increase in body weight above the normal weight is obesity.
Also Read: Infectious Diseases
Living With Chronic Illness
A raised blood pressure, increased glucose levels, overweight, abnormal blood lipids are the main signs and symptoms of a chronic disorder. With the increasing age, these diseases become more common. And in most cases, these usually turn fatal.
The chronic illness and its treatment severely affect the body. Therefore, one must know how to:
- Live with the physical effects of the illness.
- Deal with treatments.
- Communicate clearly with the doctors.
- Maintain confidence to fight with the disease.
- Cope with negative feeling
Symptoms of Chronic Diseases
Chronic disease has a severe effect on the body of the patient.
- Debilitating fatigue
- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness
- Frequent urination
- Loss of appetite
- Wounds over the body
- Unbearable pain
Causes of Chronic Diseases
The main causes of chronic disease are:
- Unhealthy diet
- Excessive energy intake
- No physical activity
- Use of tobacco
- Excessive smoking and intake of alcohol
- Increased glucose levels and blood pressure
Prevention of Chronic Disease
Certain changes in the diet and lifestyle can help to prevent chronic diseases:
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and tobacco. This will help to prevent cancer.
- Obesity is the major cause of many diseases. Controlling body weight will prevent several chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, cancers of kidney, breast, colon, endometrium, etc.
- Daily physical activity helps in reducing body weight and prevents a number of diseases.
- A healthy diet is key to a healthy body.
Also Read: Human Diseases
For more information on Chronic Disease and Poor Health, visit BYJU’s Biology website or download BYJU’Sapp.