Tabulation is a systematic and logical representation of numeric data in rows and columns to facilitate comparison and statistical analysis. It facilitates comparison by bringing related information close to each other and helps in statistical analysis and interpretation.
In other words, the method of placing organised data into a tabular form is known as tabulation. It may be complex, double, or simple, depending upon the nature of categorisation.
Also Check: Tabular Presentation of Data
Objectives Of Tabulation:
(1) To simplify complex data
- It reduces the bulk of information, i.e., it reduces raw data in a simplified and meaningful form so that it can be easily interpreted by a common man in less time.
(2) To bring out essential features of data
- It brings out the chief/main characteristics of data.
- It presents facts clearly and precisely without textual explanation.
(3) To facilitate comparison
- The representation of data in rows and columns is helpful in simultaneous detailed comparison on the basis of several parameters.
(4) To facilitate statistical analysis
- Tables serve as the best source of organised data for statistical analysis.
- The task of computing average, dispersion, correlation, etc., becomes easier if data is presented in the form of a table.
(5) To save space
- A table presents facts in a better way than the textual form.
- It saves space without sacrificing the quality and quantity of data.
Also Read: What are Measures Of Dispersion?
Multiple Choice Questions:
|Q.1- Tabulation makes the data|
c. Very complex
d. None of the above
|Q.2 Which of the following is/are the objective(s) of constructing a table for representing data?|
|a. To bring out essential features of the data
b. To facilitate statistical analysis
c. To save space
d. All of the above
|Q.3 Tabular presentation of data saves space without compromising ________ of data?|
|a. Quality of data
b. Quantity of data
c. Both (a) and (b)
d. None of the above
|1-a, 2-d, 3-c|
The above-mentioned concept is for CBSE Class 11 Statistics for Economics – Meaning and Objective of Tabulation. For solutions and study materials for Class 11 Statistics for Economics, visit BYJU’S or download the app for the best learning experience.