Tabulation is a systematic & logical presentation of numeric data in rows and columns to facilitate comparison and statistical analysis. It facilitates comparison by bringing related information close to each other and helps in further statistical analysis and interpretation.
In other words, the method of placing organised data into a tabular form is called as tabulation. It may be complex, double or simple depending upon the nature of categorisation.
Also Check: Tabular Presentation of Data
5 Major Objectives Of Tabulation:
(1) To Simplify the Complex Data
- It reduces the bulk of information, i.e. raw data in a simplified and meaningful form so that it could be easily by a common man in less time.
(2) To Bring Out Essential Features of the Data
- It brings out the chief/main characteristics of data.
- It presents facts clearly and precisely without textual explanation.
(3) To Facilitate Comparison
- Presentation of data in row & column is helpful in simultaneous detailed comparison on the basis of several parameters.
(4) To Facilitate Statistical Analysis
- Tables serve as the best source of organised data for further statistical analysis.
- The task of computing average, dispersion, correlation, etc. becomes easier if data is presented in the form of a table.
(5) Saving of Space
- A table presents facts in a better way than the textual form.
- It saves space without sacrificing the quality and quantity of data.
Also Read: What are Measures Of Dispersion?
Multiple Choice Questions:
|Q.1- Tabulation makes the data|
c. Very complex
d. None of the above
|Q.2 Which of the following are the objectives of Constructing table for presenting data?|
|a. To bring out essential features of the data
b. To facilitate statistical analysis
c. Saving of Space
d. All of the above
|Q.3 Tabular presentation of data saves space without compromising ________ of data?|
|a. Quality of data
b. Quantity of data
c. Both (a) and (b)
d. None of the above
|1-a, 2-d, 3-c|
The above-mentioned concept is for CBSE Class 11 Statistics for Economics – Meaning and Objective of Tabulation. For solutions and study materials for Class 11 Statistics for Economics, visit BYJU’S or download the app for the best learning experience.