104th Session of the Indian Science Congress is being held at Tirupati
- Points about ISCA (Indian Science Congress Association)
- Origin is because of two British origin Chemists-Prof Macmohan and Prof Simonsen
- The objectives of ISCA are
- To advance and promote the cause of science in India
- To hold an annual congress at a suitable place in India
- To publish such proceedings, journals, transactions and other publications as may be considered desirable.
- To secure and manage funds and endowments for the promotion of Science including the rights of disposing of or selling all or any portion of the properties of the Association.
- To do and perform any or all other acts, matters and things as are conductive to, or incidental to, or necessary for, the above objects.
- The first meeting was held from January 15-17, 1914 at the premises of the Asiatic Society, Calcutta, with the Honorable Justice Sir Asutosh Mukherjee
- The Indian Science Congress Association celebrated its Hundredth year of its inception in June 2, 2012 and the Centenary Session was held at Kolkata in 2013 under the Presidentship of Dr. Manmohan Singh
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- This year it is being held in Bengaluru from 7th to 9th January
- Karnataka on theme “Redefining Engagement with the Indian Diaspora.”
Points about PBD
- celebrated on 9th January every year to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India
- January 9 was chosen as it was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa
- PBD conventions are being held every year since 2003
- During the event, individuals of exceptional merit are honored with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award
- Also referred to as Cleanliness Fortnight
- Ministry Of Minority Affairs celebrates ‘Swachchhata Pakhwada’
Maternity Benefit Programme – a conditional cash transfer scheme
- The scheme provides benefit to the pregnant and lactating women
- For the wage loss so that the woman can take adequate rest before and after delivery
- To improve her health and nutrition during the period of pregnancy and lactation
- To breastfeed the child during the first six months of the birth, which is very vital for the development of the child
- Under this scheme the Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) will get cash incentive of Rs.6,000/- is payable in three installments for the first two live births
- The cash transfer would beAadhaar linked through the individual bank/post office account etc. in DBT mode.
- From 1/1/2017 this has been expanded to all the districts in India
- It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme and the cost sharing will be 60:40 between centre and the states