UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Clean Air India Initiative
The Clean Air India Initiative is a collaborative project between Get in The Ring – a platform for start-ups, the government of the Netherlands, Start-up India, and INDUS Forum – an online matchmaking platform of Indian and Dutch businesses. The program would be involved in testing and scaling innovations through collaboration between startups, large companies and governments. The Clean Air India Initiative aims at curbing air pollution in Indian cities through promotion of partnerships between Indian start-ups and Dutch companies and building a network of entrepreneurs working on business solutions for cleaner air.
- The launch of the initiative took place during the Dutch Trade Mission to India.
- The program covered the challenges and solutions around the topic of air pollution and involved the speakers from startups, high-level governments and corporations.
- The event gave participants insights into air pollution, the related challenges, examples of innovative solutions that are being developed by companies and opportunity to connect with relevant people.
How will it help Dutch firms?
Experts estimate that 80% of India is not covered by Air Quality Monitoring (AQM) data collection, which is the first step toward monitoring and combating air pollution. A major business opportunity for Dutch firms includes the potential sale of equipment (such as sensors), data, and solutions concerning AQM.
Stubble burning and control Measures
- The ‘INDUS impact’ projects aims to halt the hazardous burning of paddy stubble by promoting business partnerships that “upcycle” it.
- This involves using paddy straw as feedstock to make materials that would find use in the construction and packaging industries.
Other agreements between India and Netherlands:
- The two countries agreed on cooperation in areas of agriculture and food processing.
- They also signed pacts to deepen cooperation in areas like education, water and waste management, agriculture food processing, information technology and the development of smart cities.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.