Guests : Anil Razdan, Former Secretary, Ministry of Power : T K Arun, Editor, Opinion, Economic Times
- Coal is the base of 70% power generation in the country.
- Indian coal has high Ash content and low Sulphur content
- Coal auction will be in online platform to increase the transparency
- Open market that is done now is good move
Facts and Figures:
- India has one of the largest coal reserve but we are importing large coal for billion dollars because we choose monopoly that is incapable of domestic demand.
- To overcome this, we gone for captive mining but this will have a Big impact on Coal India and the state which having cold Reserves
Role of private players
- By bringing private players there will be in efficiency in coal sectors and in some other sectors too and there will be a better working practice in country as it makes Coal India to increase its efficiency
- Core sector should have some benchmark for the players
- There should be a proper Regulation and allocation for the players
- The beneficiation of coal should be done before loading
- More mining and better exploitation, the particular grade coal can also be made
- Dry beneficiation should be done without polluting the water resource
- Gasification is also in increasing trend in India and it should be done better
Read more Gist of Rajya Sabha TV to help you ace current affairs in the IAS exam.