UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – State Energy Efficiency Preparedness Index (SEEPI)
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) and NITI Aayog jointly released the 1st edition of the State Energy Efficiency Preparedness Index (SEEPI). The index is a part of its commitment to create awareness about energy efficiency as a resource and also to develop an action plan for energy conservation initiatives across the country.
- It is launched on the basis of 63 parameters.
- The index accessed and analyzed the state policies, programmes aimed at improving energy efficiency in various sectors such as buildings, industries, municipalities, transportation, agriculture, and electricity distribution.
- The energy consumption and the potential to conserve energy by each of the states were also measured by this index.
- The financing mechanisms, institutional capacity, adoption of energy efficiency measures and energy savings achieved formed the basis for analysis
- Based on the findings and analysis, the states have been classified under four main categories:
- Front Runner states
- Achiever states
- Contender states
- Aspirant states
Inferences based on the State Energy Efficiency Preparedness Index:
- As per the first edition, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Maharashtra, Punjab, and Rajasthan are the Front Runner states.
- Gujarat, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Haryana have been categorized in the second-best category of ‘achiever’ states.
Energy conservation guidelines for energy-intensive industries:
As a part of the Indo-Japan Energy Dialogue, Energy Conservation Centre of Japan (ECCJ) and Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) have developed Energy Conservation Guidelines for energy-intensive industries covering both large as well as MSMEs.
- The guidelines for energy-intensive industries will help the industries establish a systematic mechanism for improving the energy efficiency for major energy consuming utilities.
- They would serve as a ready reference for standard and target benchmarked energy performance values for major energy consuming equipment in turn, improving the overall energy performance of the industry.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.
|Composite Water Management Index|
|Inclusive Development Index|