UPSC 2017-18: PIB Summary and Analysis Oct 27


Topic:Health and Skill development

Healthcare sector and Skill Development in youth crucial for India’s progress: Vice President


  • The Vice President said that the government’s expenditure not remaining proportionate with growing demands in the healthcare, the private sector has come to play a dominant role in both urban and rural areas.
  • According to the stats in urban areas, only 32 per cent of the patients visit public hospitals with the rest 68 per cent preferring private hospitals.
  • In rural areas, 42 per cent patients visit public hospitals and the rest visit private ones.
  • Definitely the need is not only to expand the infrastructure in public health sector, but also increase the budget.
  • The number of physicians available per 10,000 people, their number is grossly inadequate in India when compared to developed countries.
  • While the number of physicians available is 20 per 10,000 people in developed countries, it is only six in India and the country needs 10.5 lakh doctors while we have only 6.5 lakh.
  • India should target WHO norm of one doctor per 1,000, (there is one doctor per 1700 population in India) a high-level committee of NITI Aayog has recommended the setting up of 187 more medical colleges by 2022.
  • Similarly, the number of hospital beds per 10,000 is 40 in developed countries while it is nine in India.

Skill Development

  • India is the youngest country with 65% of our population below 35 years of age. India must skill its young population not only for economic benefit but for social reasons too.
  • India’s huge human capital has to be made more qualitative with focus on rapid growth of productive enterprises and jobs and growth and inclusion must go together.
  • Manufacturing currently contributes about 13% to the GDP of the country and Make In India seeks to increase it to 25 per cent in the coming years to give a major push to the economy. In China, the manufacturing sector contributes about 36 per cent to the GDP.
  • The share of manufacturing in the GDP at 13% is amongst the lowest as compared to many rapidly developing economies.
  • The sector as a whole has been facing shortage of skilled manpower and the efforts of the government in skilling the youth should be supplemented by the corporate sector and the industries so that the target of 25 per cent contribution to the GDP is achieved faster.
  • This is the time when Skill India, Digital India and Make in India can work in conjunction in one ecosystem and create a new resurgent India.
  • We have to ensure that we scale up our efforts with greater speed and with proper ecosystem, India will become the world’s largest exporter of skilled manpower in the future.

Topic: Education

Youth from across the world come for education as India becomes hub of quality education: Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi

  • A delegation of Malaysian NGO “PINTA” calls on Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
  • Union Minister for Minority Affairs, said that India is becoming a “Hub” of accessible and quality education where youths from across the world are coming for educational activities.
  • Prime Minister Modi-led Government is working with commitment to provide accessible and quality education to every section of the society including Minorities.
  • Various schemes being run by the Central Government aimed at educational empowerment and employment-oriented skill development of Minorities such as “3Ts- Teacher, Tiffin & Toilet”,
  • A large number of Madrasas have been connected with “3Ts” and have been included into modern and mainstream education system.
  • The delegation from Malaysia lauded the schemes being run by Minority Affairs Ministry for empowerment of all Minorities.
  • It also appreciated the Ministry’s effective initiatives to connect the Madrasas with modern and mainstream education system.



Topic: Disaster Management

Shri Kiren Rijiju inaugurates Special Centre for Disaster Research at JNU

  • Special Centre for Disaster Research at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) will offer Masters and Doctorate programmes in Disaster Risk Management (DRM).
  • JNU for taking an initiative in this regard and hoped more educational institutions will come forward to conduct specialized studies in DRM.
  • India is a disaster-prone country and disasters will only grow in intensity and frequency, DRM education should be integrated into the educational institutions’ curriculum to give a fillip to the culture of disaster preparedness.
  • Team also launched the website of the Special Centre for Disaster Research.


Leave a Comment

Your Mobile number and Email id will not be published. Required fields are marked *