Rashtriya Ekta Diwas/National Unity Day
- Central and state governments across India are observing 31st October as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas. The decision to observe the special day was taken by Narendra Modi government in 2014.
- The day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, one of the founding fathers of the Republic of India.
- The government is celebrating the day all over the country with a vision to foster and reinforce dedication to preserve and strengthen unity, integrity and security of the nation.
Importance of Patel in India
- Patel, the first Home Minister of India, is credited with the integration of more than 500 princely states into India between 1947-49 after independence Act (1947).
- Often referred to as the “Bismack of India”, Patel’s name is noted in the pages of Indian history for being the man who cajoled and convinced a large number of princely states to join the Indian Union.
- Ekta diwas is an attempt by the government to celebrate Patel’s efforts in unifying India.
How did this process take place?
- Patel was made the minister in charge of the state’s department on June 27, 1947.
- Noted for his administrative pragmatism, Patel was deemed to be perfect for the job of persuading the states.
- As his secretary, he chose the ferociously intelligent, VP Menon who would go on to do the groundwork of traveling to the various courts and holding one-to-one negotiations with the rulers.
- The final touch was then given by the then Viceroy, Lord Mountbatten, who had been particularly approached by Patel, Nehru and Gandhi to aid them in the process of unification and not leave India in a state of Balkanization.
- Patel, Menon and Mountbatten would go on to bring under the fold of the Congress government, over 550 states, knitting them together into what India looks like today.
Ex Blue Flag
- Blue Flag is a bi-annual multilateral exercise which aims to strengthen military cooperation amongst participating nations.
- The exercise would provide a platform for sharing of knowledge, combat experience and in improving operational capability of the participating nations.
- Blue Flag gives opportunity to the IAF to share and learn best practices with some of the best professionals from other Air Forces.
‘Ex Blue Flag-17’
- Indian Air force contingent leaves for Israel to Participate in ‘Ex Blue Flag-17’
- The exercise is being conducted at Uvda Air Force Base in Israel from 02-16 Nov 17.
- This is the first time the Indian Air Force is operating with Israeli AF in a multilateral exercise setting. Exercise
Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan (VVM)
- In a unique initiative to give a boost to the learning of science, technology and mathematics among the youth-especially the school students, Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan (VVM) – a nationwide science talent search examination will be held on 26th November
- This programme has been organized by eminent scientists and academicians associated with Vigyan Prasar (VP) – an autonomous organisation under Department of Science and Technology and National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT) of Ministry of Human Resources and Development and Vijnana Bharati.
- A Mobile app called the VVM App was launched
How is the exam conducted?
- One of the unique features of this examination is that the test will be conducted online.
- Students will attend the exam through the various digital devices like, mobile, tablet, laptop or desktop in line with the vision of Digital India Campaign.
Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA)
- Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) is one of the largest science movement in the country led by eminent scientists and to inculcate and generate scientific temper, foster excellence in students and nurture and mentor them for their careers in pure sciences.
- Through VVM programme, India’s generation next will be made aware about the India’s Rich Contribution to Science from ancient period to modern times.
Rashtriya Ekta Shivir (National Integration Camp)
- The objective of the National Integration camp is to target and promote unity in diversity of nation
- National Integration Camp is one of the major schemes of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
Asia Ministerial Energy Roundtable
7th Asian Ministerial Energy Roundtable (AMER7)
- The 7th Asian Ministerial Energy Roundtable (AMER7) will take place in Bangkok, Thailand from 1-3 November 2017.
- Participation in this event is by invitation only.
- The Government of Thailand will host this prestigious biennial event, which is a key feature of the global energy dialogue promoted under the neutral banner of the International Energy Forum.
- The Ministerial will be co-Hosted by the United Arab Emirates.
- The 6th Asian Ministerial Energy Roundtable (AMER6) took place in Doha, Qatar from 8-10 November 2015.
- The Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan will be on an official visit to Bangkok, Thailand from 01-02ndNovember 2017 to participate in the IEF 7thAsian Ministerial Energy Roundtable (AMER7).
- India is the current Chair of IEF and will host the 16thMinisterial Conference of the IEF in India schedule during April 2018.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) finds the conduct and practice of All India Film Employees Confederation (AIFEC), Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) & its affiliates and three producer associations i.e. Indian Motion Picture Producers Association (IMPPA), Film and Television Producers Guild of India (FTPGI) and Indian Film and Television Producers Council (IFTPC) to be in contravention of Competition Law.