UPSC 2017-18: PIB Summary and Analysis Aug 16
PM’s Independence Day Speech 2017- Highlights in English
- The Prime Minster, Shri Narendra Modi today addressed the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort on the 71th Independence Day. Following are the highlights from his speech:
- For the freedom and glory of the country, those who have contributed, those who suffered and sacrificed their lives, I salute all those noble souls, mothers and sisters on behalf of 125 crore people of the country from the ramparts of the Red Fort.
- People of India stand shoulder to shoulder with those affected in the wake of natural disasters in parts of the country & the death of children in the hospital.
- This is a special year- 75th anniversary of Quit India, 100th anniversary of Champaran Satyagraha, 125th anniversary of Ganesh Utsav.
- This year is a special year for independent India. We commemorated 75 years of Quit India Movement last week. This year we are also commemorating the centenary of Champaran Satyagrah and the Sabarmati Ashram. The centenary of Lokmanya Tilak’s call “Swaraj is my birth right” falls this year as well. The year marks the 125th Anniversary of the Ganesh Utsav which led to the rise of community awakening through the celebrations.
- The Quit India Movement was “Bharat Chhodo,” but the call today is “Bharat Jodo.”
- We have to take the country ahead with the determination of creating a ‘New India’.
Concept of New India
- Some parameters – like a house for every family, power on demand, better roads and telecom, a modern railway network, rapid and sustained growth.
- Apart from this, New India must include that integral humanist component that is in our DNA, and which has defined our country and our civilisation. New India must be a society rushing towards the future, but also a compassionate society.
Youth power in changing the destiny of the nation
- 1st January 2018 will not be an ordinary day- those born in this century will start turning 18. They are Bhagya Vidhatas of our nation.
- We have to leave this ‘Chalta Hai’ attitude. We have to think of ‘Badal Sakta Hai’- this attitude will help us as a nation.
- The country has changed, is changing and can change. We have to move forward with this belief and commitment.
- Security of the country is our priority. Internal security is our priority. Whether it is our oceans or borders, cyber world or space for all kind of security India is capable to defeat all such inimical forces.
- Our uniformed forces have achieved the pinnacle of sacrifice in fighting left-wing extremism, terrorism, infiltration and elements disturbing peace. The world had to recognise the strength of India and it clout in the surgical strike.
- One rank, One Pension policy has boosted the morale of our security forces.
- No law was passed for those having Benami property for years. However after the recent passage of the Benami Act, within a short span of time, government has confiscated Benami property worth Rs. 800 crores when these things happen, common men feel that this country is for the honest people.
- Today, we are celebrating the “festival of honesty”.
GST and Cooperative Federalism
- GST has shown the spirit of cooperative federalism and has given competitive cooperative federalism a new strength. The success of GST can be attributed to the hard work that has been put in to make it a success. Technology has made it look like a miracle.
- Good governance is about speed and simplification of processes.
- India’s stature in the world is rising. The world is with us in fighting the menace of terror. I thank all nations helping us doing so.
Development and progress of Jammu & Kashmir
- For the development and progress of Jammu & Kashmir, its prosperity, and fulfilment of the aspirations of the citizens, not only the J&K government, but we as responsible citizens also have a responsibility. We are committed to restore the state to its former glory so as to experience the paradise that it was, once again.
- There is no question of being soft on terrorism or terrorists. We have been asking the extremists to join the mainstream. Democracy provides an equal opportunity and rights to be heard for all. The process of engagement can take place only by their joining the mainstream.
Internal security/Left Wing Extremism
- I deeply appreciate the efforts of security forces in curbing the Left Wing extremism which mobilized a lot of youth from these regions to surrender and joined the mainstream.
- Neither by bullet: nor by abuses but by embracing we can solve the problem of Kashmir.
- Our fight against black money and corruption will continue. We are trying to bring transparency through technology.
- There is no question of being soft on terrorism or terrorists.
- Today with the “UDAY” Yojana, we have worked together to resolve the issues with these power companies. It is a concrete example of federalism in its real sense.
- Whether it is GST or Smart City Project, whether it is Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, or construction of toilets, or ease of doing business, all these are being accomplished by working together shoulder to shoulder with the States.
- People would be the driving force behind the establishment, rather than the other way around – Tantra se Lok nahin, Lok se tantra chalega.
New India will be the biggest strength of democracy
- In the New India, the biggest strength is democracy. But we have reduced our democracy to mere ballot boxes. However, democracy cannot be confined only to ballot boxes. Hence our resolve is to see to it that we have a democracy in New India, where people are not driven by the system, rather the system is driven by the people. Such a democracy should become the identity of New India and we want to move towards that direction.
- Lokmanya Tilak Ji had said “Swaraj is my birthright”. In Independent India our Mantra should be “Good Governance is my birthright”. ‘Suraja’ or Good Governance should be our collective responsibility. The citizens should fulfil their duties and the Government too should discharge its responsibilities.
- When we move from “Swaraj” to “Suraja”, the citizens do not lag behind. For example, when I called upon the countrymen to give up gas subsidy, the nation responded as a whole. I have spoken about cleanliness. Now people are joining hands from every part of the country to take up this cleanliness drive forward.
- India never had the tradition to import pulses and if it had to import on rare occasions, it was only a few thousand tons. This year when they produced 16 lakh tons of pulses to provide nutrition to the poor, the government took the historic step of encouraging them by buying their produce.
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna has provided a security cover to our farmers. Three years back, this scheme which was running under a different name earlier, covered only 3.25 crore farmers. Now over a short span of three years more farmers have been brought under its ambit. The number is soon going to touch the 5.75 crore mark.
- With the changes in demand and technology, the nature of jobs in our country has been changing. The Government has launched several new initiatives in the employment related schemes and also in the manner in which the training is imparted for the development of human resource according to the needs of the 21st century. We have launched a massive program to provide collateral free loans to the youth. Our youth should become independent, he should get the employment, he should become the provider of employment. Over the past three years, ‘Pradhanmantri Mudra Yojana’ has led to millions and millions of youth becoming self-dependent. It’s not just that, one youth is providing employment to one, two or three more people.
Social evils such as casteism and communalism
- Sometimes in the name of faith, some people due to lack of patience end up destroying the social fabric. The country is governed by peace, harmony and unity. The poison of casteism and communalism can never benefit the country. This is the land of Gandhi and Buddha, we have to move forward taking everyone along. This is a part of our country’s culture and tradition. We have to successfully carry it forward, and that is why in the name of faith, violence cannot be allowed.
Fight against corruption
- Black marketers used to own shell companies. Post demonetization, the reports from data mining astonishingly revealed that there are 3 lakh shell companies dealing in Hawala transactions. Can anyone imagine? Out of these 3 lakh shell companies, registration of 1.75 lakh companies were cancelled.
- Even if five companies shut shop in India, there is huge public outcry. And here, we have closed one lakh Seventy five thousand companies. The looters of nation’s wealth will have to answer. We have accomplished this task.
- You will be surprised to know that there are some shell companies operating from a single address. As many as 400 companies have been found to be operating from one address. There was no one to question them. There was a total collusion.
- Today due to demonetization, banks have enough liquidity. Banks are reducing their interest rates. Even a common man is able to access inflow of funds through Mudra. He is getting opportunities to stand on his feet. The middle class and the underprivileged who aspire to have their own homes someday, are getting loans from the banks at low interest rates. Such moves are giving a fillip to the economic growth of the country.
Agriculture and Farmer’s welfare
- Our farmers have worked hard to ensure a Record foodgrain production.
- Over 5.75 crore farmers have been covererd under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema Yojaana.
- Under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana, 30 projects have been completed while work is on for 50 more projects.
- Under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samapada Yojana we are providing handholding to the farmers from availing seeds to accessing the markets for their produce.
- More than 14000 un-electrified villages have been electrified.
- 29 crore JanDhan accounts opened.
- More than 8 crore youth have received loans without any guarantee.
- Let us lead from front, promote digital economy and adopt the Bhim App.
- We have moved from Co-operative Federalism to Competitive Co-operative federalism.
- It had been said in the old scriptures that if a work is not completed on time, one does not get the desired results.
- For the Team India it is the right time to commit for a New India.
- We shall build together an India, where the poor will have concrete houses with water and electricity connection.
- We will build such an India, where the farmers will have a peaceful sleep without any worry. He will earn double than what he is earning today.
- Our resolve is to build an India, which provides all the opportunities to the youth and women to fulfill their dreams.
- Our resolve is to build such an India, free from terrorism, communalism and casteism.
- We will build together an India, where there will be no place for nepotism and corruption.
- We will build together such an India, which will be clean, healthy and fulfill the dream of self-rule (Swaraj).
- We aspire to build a Divya and Bhavya Bharat.
NOTE: This will help in aspirants in Essay, and many topics of GS Paper 1,2, and 3. Themes included ranges from social fabric, good governance, contribution of freedom fighters, agriculture, youth, job, security of the nation, corruption, black money etc. Government measures such as MUDRA yojana, PMFBY, SAMPADA, GST or Smart City Project, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan have been mentioned. It will help the aspirants in writing balanced answers to the various issues/ challenges the country is facing like solution to J&K problem, left wing extremism, etc.