GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 2
Topic: Women Welfare Issues
The third edition of ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ to be inaugurated by Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi at Dilli Haat, INA tomorrow
- ‘Good for Women; Good for India; Good for You’
- To celebrate and promote women entrepreneurs and farmers in the organic sector from across India, the Ministry of Women and Child Development will be hosting the 3rd annual ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ from October 1st to 15th, 2017, in New Delhi.
- The cultural centre of the Capital city, Dilli Haat (INA), will showcase India’s most varied offerings of organic products ranging from food, wellness, personal care, home improvement, kitchen composters and solar products.
- Ministry intends to highlight the health and environmental advantages of organic goods, provide a platform for women engaged in it and boost the development of sustainable and easily accessible sales outlets for women producers from the remotest corners of India.
GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 3
Topic: Infrastructure and Disaster Management
High-Level Meeting on Railways Safety was Held in Mumbai
- A high-level meeting on Railways Safety was held, under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Minister of Railways, Shri Piyush Goyal to comprehensively review Safety measures in Mumbai Suburban Railways as well as entire Indian Railways.
Several important decisions were taken to empower Railway officers to take strong measures to improve passenger safety and security.
- Foot Over Bridges (FOBs), platforms and pathways on platform end to be treated as Safety items having highest priority with no restriction of budget. Earlier only the first FOB at a station was considered as essential and subsequent as passenger amenity.
- For next 18 months, General Managers of Railway zones have been delegated powers without limit for Safety related issues. They shall intimate Financial Commissioner (FC) within a week of sanction for provision, and FC shall confirm the same within 15 days. In case of disagreement, the matter shall be put up to the Railway Board for final decision within the same 15 days.
- Additional Escalators sanctioned at stations of the Mumbai Suburban system having high footfall with the details to be finalised within 15 days. Similar exercise will be carried out for all high use stations all over India.
- 200 officers to be relocated from Head Quarters as in field to strengthen ground operations and project implementation.
- Brilliant & enthusiastic Station Directors are being posted at 75 stations all over India to bring dynamism in operations.
- Within the next 15 months, CCTV cameras will be installed in all suburban trains in Mumbai with monitoring mechanism. This shall be done in parallel across India as well.
- Delegation of financial & administration powers to field units by October 2017 to reduce red tape and push development & delivery.
These steps will lead to improvement in the functioning and operations of railways to ensure improvement in the standards of safety.