New Specified Health Warning on Tobacco Products packs
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has notified new sets of specified health warnings for all tobacco product packs.
- The government has amended the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labeling) Rules, 2008.
- The amended Rules will be applicable w.e.f. 1stSeptember 2018.
- One of the most important key features of the new set of specified health warnings will include telephone Quit-line number “QUIT TODAY CALL 1800-11-2356”.
- This will help in creating awareness among tobacco users, and give them access to counseling services to effect behavior change. It is also likely to lead to an increase in demand for tobacco cessation.
- As per the recent second round of Global Adult Tobacco Survey [GATS -2, 2016-17] conducted in the age group 15 years and above, 61.9% of current cigarette smokers, 53.8% of current bidi smokers and 46.2% of current smokeless tobacco users thought about quitting because of warning label on packets of cigarette, bidi and smokeless tobacco.
Self-Employment and skill upgradation schemes in textile sector
- Scheme for Incubation in Apparel Manufacturing (SIAM) was launched on pilot basis in January 2014 under which infrastructure in the form of an integrated workspace is provided to the new entrepreneurs along with training support.
- Three Incubation Centers are setup under this scheme, they are Spinning Mills Federation Ltd (SPINFED) in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, HaryanaState Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation (HSIIDC) in Panipat and Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (IIDC) in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- National Center for Design and Product Development (NCDPD) is providing skill development programmes benefiting more than 2800 artisans during 2017-18.
- Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts(EPCH) has also executed skill development programme for artisans sanctioned under Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development (CHCDS) Scheme of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) for Narsapur and Jodhpur mega clusters.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.