World Health Day
- The World Health Day is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7 April, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as other related organisations.
- This year’s World Health Day will focus on “Universal health coverage: everyone, everywhere” – ensuring that everyone, everywhere can access essential quality health services without facing financial hardship.
- World Health Day 2018 is a unique opportunity for UHC2030 partners to engage in mobilizing high-level attention and amplify the movement to accelerate progress towards universal health coverage (UHC).
- Through a series of events in 2018, starting on World Health Day, WHO aims to inspire, motivateand guide UHC stakeholders to make commitments towards UHC:
- Inspire—by highlighting policy-makers’ power to transform the health of their nation and inviting them to drive policy change.
- Motivate—by sharing examples of how countries are already progressing towards UHC and encourage others to find their own path.
- Guide—by providing tools for conversations and structured policy dialogue on how to advance UHC domestically or supporting such efforts in other countries.
PM Ujwala Yojana
- PM UjjwalaYojana has been inaugurated in Delhi.
- Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas and Skill Development, Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the scheme.
- PMUY is a welfare scheme being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas to provide LPG connections to families below the poverty line, guided by the strong commitment to bring about changes in the life of poor women and also protect their health.
- Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) is used to identify the beneficiaries (adult woman of a BPL family) and is given a deposit free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs.1600 per connection by the centre.
- This scheme will help prevent pollution and facilitate the healthy atmosphere in the families of poor people.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.