Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
New urban spaces needs to be green and resilient
- ‘Van Mahotsav’ celebrated by the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) by plantation of around 20,000 trees across Delhi.
- Acknowledging DDA’s significant role in building, restoring, maintaining and preserving the natural heritage of the city, Sh Puri said that with 783 parks & 6 biodiversity parks covering an extent of 11,000 acres approximately of land under their jurisdiction.
- DDA is a major owner of green area in Delhi and has been actively promoting the development of Regional parks, City Park, District Parks, Community Parks & Neighbourhood Parks as per norms of Master-Plan.
- For advancing research in the high education institutions, the government under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved 122 new research projects at a cost of Rs 112 crore under IMPRINT-2 covering Energy, Security, Healthcare, Advanced Materials, ICT and Security/Defence domains.
- “Out of 2145 proposals, 122 best proposals were selected for funding under IMPRINT-II, advancing cutting edge level technology,” Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said in a statement.
- “Of the 122 new IMPRINT projects sanctioned, 81 are sponsored by industry…This industry-academic collaboration will bring excellence in research,” Mr Javadekar said adding that the knowledge portal for monitoring the progress of research projects and to disseminate findings will be launched in October 2018.
- The new research project proposals selected include: 35 (ICT); 18 (Advanced Materials), 17 (Healthcare Technology), 12 (Energy Security); 11 (Security &Defence); 9 (Sustainable Habitat); 7 Water Resource & River Systems; 5 (Environment & Climate); 4 (Manufacturing); and 4 (Nano Technology).
- IMPRINT is the first of its kind MHRD supported Pan-IIT + IISc joint initiative, now open for private institutions too,to address the major science and engineering challenges that India must address and champion to enable, empower and embolden the nation for inclusive growth and self-reliance.
- IMPRINT provides the overarching vision that guides research into areas that are predominantly socially relevant.
- The implementation of 142 projects under IMPRINT-1 has got underway. These projects have received support from several ministries, councils and departments in addition to the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Among the 142 IMPRINT-1 projects under implementation are:
- Development of Cost Effective Magneto-Rheological (MR) Fluid Damper in Two wheelers and Four Wheelers Automobile to Improve Ride Comfort and Stability;
- Indigenous development of an ultra high strength steel with stainless property for space application;
- High strength, wear and corrosion resistant steel for high speed rail and elastic clip;
- Low Cost Indoor Occupancy and Climate Monitoring System For Energy Conservation;
- Development of Artificial Pancreas for Closed Loop Blood Glucose Control of Type-1 Diabetic Patients in India;
- Development of a smartphone camera-based sensor for detection and remediation of chromium pollution in water;
- Efficient Glycemic Control for the Management of Diabetes Complications : Intervention with Novel Point of Care Device for Community Healthcare;
- Smart Classrooms: Technology Aids for Effective Teaching in Large Classrooms; and
- Designing and fabrication of an aerodynamic lens for nanoparticles of variable size.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.