‘Awareness Campaign on Protection of Children in contact with Railways’ launched as a Joint Initiative with NCPCR
- It is an endeavour to spread awareness about large number of vulnerable children coming in contact with Railways as passengers or abandoned, trafficked, run away children separated from their family, Shri Ashwani Lohani, Chairman, Railway Board, along with Smt Stuti Kacker, Chairperson, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) today launched an awareness campaign on Protection of children in contact with Railways.
- Shri Dharmendra Kumar, IPS, DG/RPF, Shri Vishwesh Chaube, GM/Northern Railway, Shri R.N.Singh, DRM/Delhi division and other senior officials were also present on this occasion.
- Speaking on the occasion, Shri Ashwani Lohani, Chairman, Railway Board said, “this campaign has been launched to address the issue of protection of Children across the entire railway system & to sensitize all stakeholders, passengers, vendors, porters. Currently, the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Railways to ensure Care and Protection of Children in contact with Railways is successfully implemented at 88 stations. Now, we intend to implement in 174 stations.”
Ministry of Water Resources accepts two major irrigation and four flood management projects from six states
- The Advisory Committee of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has accepted two major irrigation/multipurpose projects and four flood management schemes/master plans with a cumulative cost of Rs. 84,748 Crores from six States/ UT in its meeting held in New Delhi yesterday.
- The Kaleshwaram Project of Telangana with an estimated cost of Rs. 80190.46 Crores involves diversion of 195 TMC (5522 Million Cubic Meter) of Godavari water to irrigate about 18.25 lakh acres of land in 13 districts (out of total 31 districts) of Telangana.
- This project will stabilize about 18.82 lakh acres of land under different projects of the state. In addition to this, the project will provide 40 TMC (1133 MCM) of drinking water to Hyderabad, Secundarabad and villages enroute and 16 TMC (453 MCM) of industrial water.
- The Upper Pravara (Nilwande-II) Project of Maharashtra with an estimated cost of Rs. 2232.62 Crores will irrigate an area of 2,12,758 acres and provide drinking water to the tune of 13.15 MCM.
- The Mahananda Flood Management Scheme (Phase-II) of Bihar, Seer Khad Project of Himachal Pradesh, Yanam Flood Protection Works of Union Territory Puducherry and Ghatal Master Plan (Phase-I) of West Bengal were also accepted in the meeting.
- These projects will provide flood protection to about 13,58,000 persons and save about 4,51,750 acres of area from flooding.
Operation NISTAR Successful
- Indian Naval Ship Sunayana entered Porbandar harbour at 0900 hrs today on 07 Jun 2018 after successfully evacuating 38 Indian Nationals at/ off Socotra Islands during a swift Humanitarian and Disaster Relief Operation (HADR), code named Operation NISTAR.
Election Commission of India Launches its online RTI Portal
- Chief Election Commissioner Sh. O.P. Rawat, Election Commissioners Sh. Sunil Arora and Shri Ashok Lavasa today launched the online RTI Portal of Election Commission of India.
- The online portal will facilitate applicants seeking information under the Right to Information Act. The portal can be accessed by general public on the Home Page of the Commission’s website `eci.nic.in’ by clicking on `Online RTI’.
- There is also online payment gateway for making payment of requisite fees under the RTI Act. The portal also facilitates online reply to applications and also for making first appeal and reply thereto. There will be timely notification alerts to RTI applicant via SMS and E-Mail.
- Applicants seeking information from the Commission under the RTI Act can make use of the online portal. The offline mode of applications will also simultaneously continue.
- The online RTI applications made in the past in the Portal of DOPT were downloaded and all such applications barring a few have been disposed of by giving suitable reply to the applicants. The remaining applications and First Appeals will be disposed of shortly.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.