Development and environment must foster a complementary and symbiotic relationship: Vice President
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that development and environment need not be antithetical to each other, but must foster a complementary and symbiotic relationship.
- He was interacting with the research scholars, students and faculty of the North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology (NERIST), in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh today.
- The Vice President said that institutes like NERIST have a special responsibility to take the lead in developing environment-friendly technologies in the wake of climate change and its adverse impact.
- He further said that all scientific endeavors must aim at finding solutions to the problems faced by the society.
- Science has no meaning if it does not the touch the lives of the people. Scientists and technocrats cannot remain in ivory towers, he added.
- The Vice President advised the young graduates and youth of the state to make full use of the skill development programme run by the government.
Foundation stone laid for two projects under AMRUT Mission
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that peace, both beyond and within the boundaries is crucial for rapid development of our country.
- He was addressing the gathering after laying foundation stone for Septage Management System and Storm Water Drainage System for the benefit of the people of Itanagar under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) Scheme, in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh today.
- The Vice President said that India believes in resolving differences through negotiations in an atmosphere of trust and good will and added that no problem or issue is beyond solution if the intentions are right. Our country has all along demonstrated right intentions and we don’t set our eyes on other’s properties and would never allow others target ours, he added.
- The Vice President called for determined efforts to address the few unresolved issues so that this cradle of nature would prove to be a real heaven for its people. It is only in an atmosphere of peace that the full potential of this region could be realized, he added.
- The Vice President said that Atal Mission will help Arunachal address infrastructure issues relating to water supply, septage management and sewer networks, storm water drains, non-motorised urban transport and open spaces and parks.
- The Vice President also recalled the launch of the AMRUT Mission in June, 2015 as the then Minister of Urban Development.
- The Vice President has said that winds of change are sweeping across the country driving the much needed transformation.
- He further said that new energy, new resolve, new hope, new approaches and new thinking are driving this change. North-Eastern Region is an important vehicle of this change and can lead the march of our country on the path of progress by reaching new horizons, he added.
- The Vice President said that the fight against corruption must become people’s movement. Reaching out to the people, delivering system are important in the context of North-East and the Digital, Online, DBT, JAM are the way forward. Transparency and accountability are very important for the success of development and for speedy development, he added.
- The Vice President complimented the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, Shri Pema Khandu for his efforts to bring the transparency and accountability in the State of Arunachal Pradesh.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.