- Ministry of Defence constituted this Committee of Experts (CoE) under the Chairmanship of Lt. Gen. (Retd) DB Shekatkar to recommend measures to enhance combat capability and rebalance defence expenditure of the armed forces.
- The Committee submitted its report in December 2016. The Report was taken up by the Ministry of Defence to frame key action points and roadmap for implementation.
Some Recommendations taken up for implementation include:
- Optimization of Signals Establishments to include Radio Monitoring Companies, Corps Air Support Signal Regiments, Air Formation Signal Regiments, Composite Signal Regiments and merger of Corps Operating and Engineering Signal Regiments.
- Restructuring of repair echelons in the Army to include Base Workshops, Advance Base Workshops and Static / Station Workshops in the field Army.
- Redeployment of Ordnance echelons to include Vehicle Depots, Ordnance Depots and Central Ordnance Depots apart from streamlining inventory control mechanisms.
- Better utilization of Supply and Transportation echelons and Animal Transport Units.
- Closure of Military Farms and Army Postal Establishments in peace locations.
- Enhancement in standards for recruitment of clerical staff and drivers in the Army.
- Improving the efficiency of the National Cadet Corps.
Rs. 361.97 crore sanctioned for buddhist circuits
- Ministry of Tourism has sanctioned Rs.361.97 Crore under the ‘Swadesh Darshan’ scheme for development of Buddhist Circuit.
- Under the plan scheme ‘Swadesh Darshan’ Ministry of Tourism provides Central Financial Assistance (CFA) to State Governments/Union Territory Administrations, for various tourism projects subject to availability of funds, liquidation of pending utilization certificates and adherence to the scheme guidelines.
- Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, thirteen thematic circuits have been identified, for development namely: North-East India Circuit, Buddhist Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
Nari Shakti Puraskars
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind will present Nari Shakti Puraskars 2017 at a special ceremony to be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- To acknowledge women’s achievements, the Government of India confers Nari Shakti Puraskars on eminent women and institutions in recognition of their service towards the cause of women empowerment.
- This year, 30 individual awardees and 9 institutional awardees are selected for these Puraskars. Ministry of Women and Child Development announces these national level awards for eminent women, organisations and institutions.
- A Selection Committee considers the achievements of organizations and individuals so nominated and recommends the Awards.
- The Selection Committee may also, suo motu, recommend a person or institution for the award.
Women Entrepreneurship Platform
- NITI Aayog will launch its Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) on the occasion of the International Women’s Day.
- Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) would provide a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem where women do not face any gender-based barriers.
- The platform aspires to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs who will create and empower a dynamic New India.
The WEP shall aim to
- Promote women entrepreneurship by collaborating with various partner organisations
- Provide industry linkages & partner support to women entrepreneurs Increase the visibility of existing schemes, programmes & services across government and private sectors
- Identify and address issues and bottlenecks through appropriate channels
- Develop a national database through a centralised portal for registration of women entrepreneurs
- Provide evidence-based policy recommendations to develop a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.