National Legislators Conference
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a two-day National Legislators Conference at the Central Hall of Parliament House.
- The theme of the conference is – “We for Development”.
- The conference aims at providing a platform to Members of Parliament, Legislative Assemblies and Legislative Councils across the country to share their experiences and to develop a perspective on developmental issues in the light of sustainable development goals.
- The conference will also offer a special opportunity to the delegates whose constituencies have greater possibilities and aspirations of development.
- About 175 public representatives are expected to participate in the conference.
- Union Ministers, Chief Ministers and Presiding Officers of State Legislatures will also attend the function.
ISA-ADB, NDB, GCF, AfDB and AIIB joint declarations of financial partnership
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) and the African Development Bank (AfDb), the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), the Green climate fund (GCF), and the New Development Bank (NDB) signed Joint financial partnership Declarations.
- The objective of the agreements is to deepen their cooperation in support of Renewable Energy.
- ISA is working for deployment of over 1000 GW of solar energy and mobilising more than US$ 1000 billion into solar energy by the year 2030.
- The African Development Bank’s New Deal on Energy for Africa aims to achieve universal access to energy in Africa by 2025.
- The Asian Development Bank promotes a vision of an Asia and Pacific region free of poverty. ADB’s energy policy aims to help its developing member countries (DMCs) in Asia to provide reliable, adequate, and affordable energy for an inclusive growth.
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank finalized an Energy Sector Strategy that emphasizes proactive support to client countries to develop intermittent renewable energy, including solar.
- The Green Climate Fund’s Strategic Vision includes financing innovative projects and programmes, inter alia supporting the application and dissemination of cutting-edge climate technologies.
- The New Development Bank’s purpose is to mobilize resources for infrastructure and sustainable development projects in the Federative Republic of Brazil, the Russian Federation, the Republic of India, the People’s Republic of China, and the Republic of South Africa (BRICS) and other emerging market economies and developing countries.
- The International Energy Agency is an autonomous agency within the framework of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which works to ensure reliable, affordable and clean energy for its 30 member countries and beyond.
- The IEA has four main areas of focus: energy security, economic development, environmental awareness and engagement worldwide.
- The GST Council has recommended the introduction of e-way bill for inter-State movement of goods across the country from 01st April 2018.
- E-way bill is required to be generated only where the value of the consignment exceeds Rs. 50000/-. For smaller value consignments, no e-way bill is required.
- Value of exempted goods has been excluded from value of the consignment, for the purpose of e-way bill generation.
- Railways has been exempted from generation and carrying of e-way bill with the condition that without the production of e-way bill, railways will not deliver the goods to the recipient. But railways are required to carry invoice or delivery challan etc.
- E-way bill stands for Electronic Way Bill. It is usually a unique bill number generated for the specific consignment involving the movement of goods.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.