Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE)
- FINE is an initiative being organised by Rashtrapati Bhavan in association with the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and the National Innovation Foundation-India.
- It will recognise, respect, showcase, reward innovations and to foster a supportive ecosystem for innovators.
- FINE will provide a platform for innovators for building linkages with potential stakeholders to develop their ideas into implementable projects for the larger social good.
- It will provide a window to showcase creative and innovative solutions for social development through innovation emerging from grassroots, student ideas and other technologies.
- FINE also includes an “In-Residence” Program as part of which a batch of ten innovation scholars will stay within the President’s Estate.
- They will be provided mentoring as well as opportunities for idea sharing with key stakeholders.
- Recently government has identified 100 monuments as “Adarsh Smarak” for upgradation of existing facilities/amenities like Wi-Fi, cafeteria, interpretation centre, brail signage, modern toilets etc.
The salient features of the scheme are as under:
- To make monument visitor friendly.
- To upgrade/provide wash rooms, drinking water, signages, cafeteria and wi-fi facility
- To provide Interpretation and audio-video centres
- To streamline waste water and garbage disposal and rain water harvesting system
- To make monument accessible to differently abled
- To implement Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Indian Navy to host Bilateral Exercise ‘Varuna’ with French Navy.
- Bilateral maritime exercises between India and French started from 1993.
- Since 2001, the exercises have been named VARUNA and there have been fifteen editions of the same till date.
- This year VARUNA-18 would be conducted in three sea areas, namely, the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal and South Western Indian Ocean.
- It is an android based mobile application developed by The Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- It is developed for internal monitoring as also connecting with officers/officials concerned with implementation of schemes / programmes for tribal development.
- This application provides an opportunity for visual feedback in terms of photographs, videos, uploading reports of official tours / inspections and sharing of best practices etc.
- The application is being extensively used to get an overview of the Ekalavya Model Residential Schools (EMRSs) funded by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
SATH-Education Roadmaps 2018-2020
- NITI Aayog has released the roadmaps for the Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E) Project.
- The SATH-E initiative in based on formal agreements with the States and will be funded through a cost-sharing mechanism between NITI Aayog and the participating states.
- The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Piramal Foundation for Education Leadership (PFEL) were chosen as knowledge partners for the project facilitating review, data collection and implementation.
- SATH-E aims to create role model States for education and mainstream ‘islands of excellence’ across the country to facilitate qualitative and quantitative transformation of learning outcomes.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.