- Defence minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman gave away the DRDO Awards- 2016 & 2017 to various DRDO scientists for their outstanding contributions, while commemorating the National Technology Day.
- Some of the prominent scientists, who received the award, include former Secretary Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri and Director General, DRDO Dr VK Saraswat for DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2017, former Secretary Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri and Director General, DRDO Dr VK Saraswat for DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2016 Etc…
National Technology Day
- National Technology Day is observed every year on 11thof May in India, acting as a reminder of the anniversary of Shakti.
- Shakti is the Pokhran nuclear test Pokhran nuclear test which was held on 11th of May, 1998.
- The day highlights the important role of Science in our daily lives and encourages students to embrace Science as a career option. Various events are organized in different technical institutes and engineering colleges to mark the day.
Indian Army Women Officers’ Mountaineering Expedition to Mt. Bhagirathi-Ii
- The Director General of Military Training has flagged off the Mountaineering Expedition of Indian Army Women Officers’ to Mt. Bhagirathi-II (6512 metres).
- The expedition aims at encouraging women in the field of adventure where dauntless courage, will-power and determination is put to test.
- The Indian Army women officers are exploring their maximum potential in the field of adventure sports.
- The team also plans to set a new world record of practicing Yoga at 21000 ft on the occasion of Yoga Day 2018.
- Bhagirathi-II is located in the Garhwal Himalayas in Gangotri National Park. The peak rises right above the Gangotri glacier which sets new challenges for the climbers.
National Wind-solar Hybrid Policy
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has issued the National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy.
- The objective of the policy is to provide a framework for promotion of large grid connected wind-solar PV hybrid system for efficient utilization of transmission infrastructure and land.
- It also aims at reducing the variability in renewable power generation and achieving better grid stability.
- On technology front the Policy provides for integration of both the energy sources i.e. wind and solar at AC as well as DC level.
- The Policy also provides for flexibility in share of wind and solar components in hybrid project, subject to the condition that, rated power capacity of one resource be at least 25 per cent of the rated power capacity of other resource for it to be recognised hybrid project.
- The Policy seeks to promote new hybrid projects as well as hybridisation of existing wind/solar projects.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.