Cabinet approves CTDP scheme for Meghalaya
- The Union Cabinet chaired by chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved Implementation of a Comprehensive Telecom Development Plan (CTDP) for the North Eastern Region(NER) in Meghalaya.
- It has been implemented at a total estimated project cost of Rs. 3911 crore to be funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF).
- Provision of 2G+4G mobile coverage in identified uncovered areas of the State of Meghalaya; and
- Provision of 2G+4G seamless mobile coverage along the National Highways in Meghalaya.
- Strengthening of telecom network will result in increased penetration of mobile connectivity in Meghalaya resulting in affordable and equitable access of communication, information and governance to people.
- Providing access to public mobile network to hitherto unreached people of Meghalaya will empower citizens with benefits of ICTs for furthering socio-economic developments.
- The innovative skill of uncovered areas will increase through broadband and internet access.
- It is an Indo Dutch initiative to further the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- The official launch will take place on 25th May, 2018 at Taj West End Hotel, Bengaluru.
- The initiative will fulfil the twin objective of facilitating market expansion for startups in the two countries alongside fostering a joint sense of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- The Indo-Dutch #StartUpLink is developed for Indian and Dutch startups that are exploring each other’s markets and offers access to key information, relevant networks, pilot opportunities, and navigators for the respective startup ecosystems.
- Startup India Hub under Invest India and Netherlands Enterprise Agency under the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Change would act as single points of contact and navigators for their respective countries.
- As a partner for the Indo Dutch #StartUpLink, Shell has come on board with the aim of accelerating India’s transition to a sustainable energy future. Shell has established the Shell E4 Start Hub to enable and empower energy entrepreneurs in progressing their impactful solutions.
- As the first energy focused startup hub in India, Shell E4 is uniquely positioned in offering startups access to infrastructure (labs + co-working space), industry knowledge, subject matter expertise, funding, global connections and brand recognition, combined with a world-class accelerator program.
- Startup India and its Dutch implementing partner Dutch Basecamp are also gearing up to organize startup missions from India to Netherlands.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.