Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
- Professionals keen on doing volunteer work in their free time will be provided a platform by the government through an app, #Self4Society, developed by MyGov.
- The app will have incentives, gamification and intra- and inter-company competitions, and social networking
- This platform is going to create a big opportunity for the masses and will lead to a better outcome of the efforts of professionals who have keen interest in volunteering.
Future Policy Gold Award
- Sikkim has won the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation’s (FAO) Future Policy Gold Award for its achievement in becoming the world’s first totally organic agriculture state.
- Sikkim won the Future Policy Award 2018, beating 51 nominated policies from 25 countries
- Sikkim became the first state in India to officially announce adoption of organic farming in the year 2003 to ensure long term sustenance of soil fertility, protection of environment and ecology, healthy living and decreasing the risk of health ailments.
- In 2003, Sikkim stopped imports of chemical fertilizers in the State and since then the cultivatable land there is practically organic and farmers of Sikkim are traditional users of organic manure.
- Nicknamed the “Oscar for best policies”, the award is co-organised with the FAO by The World Future Council (WFC) and IFOAM — Organics International, and recognises “the world’s best laws and policies promoting agroecology”.
- Brazil, Denmark, Quito and Ecuador shared the Silver award.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|Zero Budget Natural Farming (ZBNF)|
|Government to Promote Innovative Techniques of Farming|