Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
- India is the Partner Country in the 87thIzmir International tradeshow which begins in Turkey from Friday, September 7, 2018.
- TPCI is the trade and investment promotion organization of the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce &Industry, Government of India, and works to open new areas for co-operation in trade and investment between India and rest of the world.
- Source India, with 75 Indian participating companies, is a multi-product pavilion though some of the key potential areas for increasing trade with Turkey are ceramics, cereals and machinery or mechanical appliances.
- Turkey’s ceramic imports from the world is USD 339.8 million and only USD 16.6 million from India and India exports more than USD1.2 billion worth of ceramic products to the world.
- India exports cereals worth USD 91.6 million to Turkey compared to Turkey’s import of USD 1.7 billion worth of cereals from the world. India has the capacity to increase its export in this sector as it is currently exporting USD7.3 billion worth of cereals to the world.
Joint Statement on the Inaugural India-U.S 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue
- The launch of the 2+2 Dialogue as a reflection of the shared commitment by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and President Mr. Donald Trump to provide a positive, forward-looking vision for the India-U.S. strategic partnership and to promote synergy in their diplomatic and security efforts.
Strengthening the Defense and Security Partnership
- The Ministers reaffirmed the strategic importance of India’s designation as a Major Defense Partner (MDP) of the United States and committed to expand the scope of India’s MDP status and take mutually agreed upon steps to strengthen defense ties further and promote better defense and security coordination and cooperation.
Partners in the Indo-Pacific and Beyond
- The two sides expressed support for an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned peace and reconciliation process. The United States acknowledged India’s longstanding and ongoing contributions of economic assistance to Afghanistan and also welcomed India’s enhanced role in Afghanistan’s development and stabilization.
- India welcomed the recent U.S.-North Korea summit. The two sides pledged to work together to counter North Korea’s weapons of mass destruction programs and to hold accountable those countries that have supported them.
- The United States welcomed India’s accession to the Australia Group, the Wassenaar Arrangement, and the Missile Technology Control Regime and reiterated its full support for India’s immediate accession to the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
Promoting Prosperity and People-to-People Ties
- The Ministers recognized the importance and the potential for increasing bilateral trade, investment, innovation and job creation in both countries.
- Both sides looked forward to full implementation of the civil nuclear energy partnership and collaboration between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Westinghouse Electric Company for the establishment of six nuclear power plants in India.
Swachhata Hi Seva Campaign
- ‘Swachhata Hi Seva 2018’ a jan andolanfor Swachhata to be observed in the run-up to the 4th anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM), i.e. from September 15th to October 2nd 2018, as the sanitation movement enters its final leg.
- Accelerate the momentum of Swachh Bharat in the run-up to its 4thanniversary
- Re-energise the Swachh Bharat Jan Andolan and lay down the foundation of sustainability
- Reinforce the concept of “Sanitation as everyone’s business”
- Commence Mahatma Gandhi’s 150thbirth year celebrations with a nationwide campaign
Cleaning of Iconic Places
- Focus on the 30 Swachh Iconic Places for cleanliness activities
- A drive will be run to have all management, staff, employees and workers to undertake shramdaan both inside their campuses and in adjoining public places
- Media has been playing a crucial role in achieving the goals of SBM. During the SHS fortnight, media is requested to create mass awareness and increase outreach across the country.
- The regular coverage and reporting of Shramdaan activities during SHS by various stakeholders and sections of the community will be vital for realizing the goal of Swachh Bharat.
Leveraging IT for Mobility
Ministry of Railways & Centre for Railway Information Services (CRIS) organised a seminar on “Leveraging IT for Mobility” also launched a new app – “AAPOORTI’ mobile App of ‘Indian Railways e-procurement system’.
- The ‘Aapoorti’ mobile App of ‘Indian Railways e-procurement system’.
- This App provides information and data related to e-tendering and e-auction related activities of Indian Railways.
- For e-tendering activities, users can see details related to tenders published, tenders closed, purchase orders placed.
- For activities related to e-auction of scrap sale, users can see upcoming auctions, auction schedules, sale conditions, details of material available for e-auction, auctioning units.
- User manuals of IREPS are also made available on the App.
- The App also provides for rating of the app and taking feedback from users which shall help us continuously improve the app.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|Indo-U.S two-by-two ministerial dialogue||Swachhta Hi Seva|