Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Government constitutes Competition Law Review Committee
- In pursuance of its objective of ensuring that Legislation is in sync with the needs of strong economic fundamentals, the Government has constituted a Competition Law Review Committee to review the Competition Act.
The Terms of References of the Committee are as follows:-
- To review the Competition Act/ Rules/ Regulations, in view of changing business environment and bring necessary changes, if required;
- To look into international best practices in the competition fields, especially anti-trust laws, merger guidelines and handling cross border competition issues;
- To study other regulatory regimes/ institutional mechanisms/ government policies which overlap with the Competition Act;
- Any other matters related to competition issue and considered necessary by the Committee.
- The Competition Act was passed in the year 2002 and the Competition Commission of India was set up in pursuance of the same.
- The Commission started functioning in right earnest from 2009 and has contributed immensely towards the development of competition and fair play practices in the Indian market.
- During the past nine years the size of the Indian Economy has grown immensely and India is today amongst the top five Economies in the World and poised to forge ahead further.
- In this context, it is essential that Competition Law is strengthened, and re-calibrated to promote best practices which result in the citizens of this country achieving their aspirations and value for money.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|Market Economy Status|