Geography is an important subject for UPSC IAS Prelims as well as Mains Examination. The subject is a very diverse and interesting one. The subject is divided into two- Indian geography and world geography. The UPSC has asked many questions from Indian geography portion for Prelims and Mains exam. Here we are giving details about of West flowing Peninsular Indian Rivers. The major west flowing rivers in Peninsular India are Narmada and Tapi.
- It is located mainly in Madhya Pradesh.
- The Narmada River is also known as Rewa River.
- The River is originated from Maikala range near Amarkantak .
- It is a West flowing river.
- The River flows through Gujarat, Chhattisgarh Madhya Pradesh, and Maharashtra.
- The tributaries of Narmada River are Kolar River, Shakkar River, Dudhi River, Tawa River, and Hiran River.
- Major Hydro Power Project in this river are Maheshwar Dam, Sardar Sarovar Dam, and Indira Gandhi Sagar Dam.
- The Tapti/Tapi River is located in Madhya Pradesh.
- It originates from Multai reserve forest.
- The river is flowing through the states of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.
- Kakrapar Dam, Ukai Dam, Girna Dam are the major projects on this river.
- The Suki, the Gomai, the Arunavati, the Vaghur, the Amravati, the Purna, the Mona and the Sipna are the major tributaries of Tapti River.
- The river originates from Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh.
- The river flows through Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Gujarat.
- The river drains in Gulf of Cambay.
- Mahi Bajaj Sagar dam and Kadana Dam are the major Hydro Power stations situated on this river.
- Sabarmati River is a combination of two streams the Sabar and Hathmati.
- The river is flowing through Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- It originates from Tepur in Udaipur district of Rajasthan.
- The Wakal, the Hathmati, the Vatrak and the Sei are the major tributaries of Sabarmati River.
- Sabarmati reservoir, Hathmati reservoir, and Meshwo reservoir project are the major projects situated on this river.
- Luni is an endorheic river.
- It is also known as the Sagarmati.
- It originates from the Western slopes of the Aravalli ranges near Ajmer.
- The river rises from the Satpura Range of Betul in MP.
- This river is the longest tributary of River Narmada.
- This is an important river in the state of Karnataka flowing towards the west.
- The Sharavati River originates from the Shimoga district of Karnataka.
- The river drains a catchment area of 2,209 sq. km.
- The Jog Falls is created by the Sharavati River.
Previous Year Question on West flowing River
- The Narmada River flows to the west, while most other large peninsular rivers flow to the east. Why? (UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2013)
- It occupies a linear rift valley.
- It flows between the Vindhyas and the Satpuras.
- The land slopes to the west from Central India.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
- 1 only
- 2 and 3
- 1 and 3