India has been seeing rapid growth in the Telecom Industry. The evolution of various generation of the network has impacted the economy and society positively. The current era has witnessed the wide usage of the 4th generation network.
The transmission of data through network evolved in 1980 with the emergence of 1st generation of Network. Since then, data transmission has seen an up-gradation and improved speed.
This article lists the difference between the 4th and 5th generation networks highlighting various areas.
Brief History of Data Transmission
- The 2nd generation (2G) network was launched in the 1990s. Digital radio signals were used and that supported both data and voice transmission with a frequency of 64 Kbps.
- The 3rd generation (3G) network was launched in the 2000s. The network speed provided were in the range of 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps.
- 4G was launched in 2009 and allowed data transmission at a speed of 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps.
Major Difference between 4G and 5G
The major differences between the 4G and 5G network are listed below:
- 5G network provides enhanced network coverage compared to the 4G.
- Data bandwidth of 5g is above 1gbps whereas for 4G it lies between 2mbps to 1gbps.
- The latency of the 5G network is smaller compared to 4G.
- The consumption of battery by 5G network is comparatively lesser than 4G.
- 5G network operates at higher frequency band to allow faster data transmission compared to the 4G network.
Advantages of 5G network
- 5G network will allow faster uploading and downloading.
- High data speed of 5G Network would work in favour of cloud systems to enhance software updates, music, and navigation.
- 5G network usage will help in the enhanced digitization of the country which will ultimately raise the GDP and employment generation.
Challenges of 5g network
- The network speed of 5G would be a bit challenging for the devices to support. Devices have to be upgraded to allow the 5G network usage.
- Development of infrastructure for the 5G network would be very expensive.
- In India, average download speed is 9.12 Mbps and that is lesser in comparison to the speed of 23.54 Mbps which is considered as the global average speed.
To know more about similar information, refer to the Static GK article.