UMANG UPSC – UMANG stands for Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance. It is a mobile application launched by PM Narendra Modi to provide secured access to the citizens to multiple government services at one platform.
UMANG is a key component of the Digital India initiative of the government that intends to make all traditional offline government services available 24 * 7 online through a single unified app.
Like UMANG, there are various other schemes or services launched by the Government of Indian in order to address the social and economic welfare of the citizens of the nation. The links of a few related schemes launched by the government are given below.
Candidates can check in detail various Government Schemes which will be helpful for UPSC aspirants and for other competitive exams.
Candidates can know the detailed information about the UMANG on the Official Website (https://web.umang.gov.in/).
In order to provide easy accessibility to major services offered by Central and State Government Local bodies, departments, and other utility services from private organizations UMANG was launched on November 23, 2017. It is a unified approach where the citizens of the country just by installing one mobile application can avail multiple government services.
UMANG Key Facts
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a new mobile app — UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) which will allow citizens to access government services on a single platform.
- It aims to bring 162 government services on a single mobile app, with a larger goal to make the government accessible on the mobile phone of our citizens.
- The services live on the app include Aadhaar, DigiLocker, Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) among others.
- According to official documents, the UMANG app will provide access to over 1,200 services of various government organisations in states and at the Centre as well as utility payments.
- Using the app, citizens will be able to access Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) services, apply for a new permanent account number (PAN), and those looking for jobs can register themselves under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- It supports 13 Indian languages and caters to on-demand scalability. It will also soon support feature phones without internet through USSD.
Constitution of UMANG App
UMANG was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The bodies behind its development are the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology -MeitY and one that will drive mobile governance in India is the National e-Governance Division – NeGD.
UMANG provides a single platform for all Indian Citizens to access pan India e-government services ranging from Central to Local bodies and other citizen-centric services.
Features of UMANG
With a thought to add convenience to the lifestyle of the Indian citizens UMANG has been created. The services of the app are made available on multiple channels like web and mobile application, IVR and SMS that can be easily accessed through feature phones, smartphones, desktops, laptops and tablets. It provides seamless integration with popular customer-centric services like Digilocker, Aadhaar, and more.
The services made available through the UMANG application are as follows:
UMANG is launched to revolutionize the way an Indian citizen avails government services, as it leverages the increased rate of internet and smartphone probing in the country.
UMANG app is covered under Government Schemes which is an important static GK topic with regards to UPSC or any other competitive examination.
For information on various Static GK check the article linked here.
Candidates can also check the relevant links: