Many inter-state river-water disputes have erupted since independence. On the face of it, inter-state water disputes involve issues of:
- Allocation of waters between different states;
- Apportionment of construction costs and benefits if a project is developed jointly by more than one state;
- Compensation to the states prejudicially affected by the implementation of a project by another state;
- Dispute settlement relating to the interpretation of agreements and;
- Excess withdrawals by a state.