The purposes/reasons for the establishment of Gram Nyayalayas are as follows:
- To provide speedy, inexpensive and substantial justice to the common man.
- To provide access to justice to the citizens at their doorsteps.
- To ensure that opportunities for securing justice are not denied to any citizen by reason of social, economic or other disabilities.
- To set up courts that would travel to the people instead of people travelling far to courts set up in far off places, mostly in the District Headquarters, thereby bringing to the people of rural areas speedy, affordable and substantial justice.
- Article 39A of the Constitution directs the State to secure operation of the legal system that promotes justice on a basis of equal opportunity and shall provide free legal aid. On similar lines, the Government of India has taken various measures to strengthen the judicial system by simplifying the procedural laws and incorporating various alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as arbitration, conciliation and mediation.