In statistics, for a moderately skewed distribution, there exists a relation between mean, median, and mode. This mean median and mode relationship is known as the “empirical relationship between mean, median, mode” which have been discussed in detail below.
- Mean is the average of the data set which is calculated by adding all the data values together and dividing it by the total number of data sets.
- Median is the middle value among the observed set of values and is calculated by arranging the values in ascending order and then choosing the middle value.
- Mode is the number from a data set which has the highest frequency and is calculated by counting the number of times each value occurs.
Empirical Relationship between Mean, Median and Mode
In case of a moderately skewed distribution, the difference between mean and mode is almost equal to three times the difference between the mean and median. Thus, the empirical mean median mode relation is given as:
|Mean – Mode = 3 (Mean – Median)|
Mean Median Mode Relation With Frequency Distribution
- Frequency Distribution with Symmetrical Frequency Curve
If a frequency distribution graph is having a symmetrical frequency curve, the mean, median, and mode will be equal.
|Mean = Median = Mode|
- For Positively Skewed Frequency Distribution
In case of a positively skewed frequency distribution, the mean is always greater than median and the median is always greater than the mode.
|Mean > Median > Mode|
- For Negatively Skewed Frequency Distribution
In case of a negatively skewed frequency distribution, the mean is always lesser than median and the median is always lesser than the mode.
|Mean < Median < Mode|
Also Check: Mean Median Mode Formula
Example Question Using the Mean, Median and Mode Relationship
Question: In a moderately skewed distribution, the median is 20 and the mean is 22.5. Using these values, find the approximate value of the mode.
Mean = 22.5
Median = 20
Mode = x
Now, using the relationship between mean mode and median we get,
(Mean – Mode) = 3 (Mean – Median)
22.5 – x = 3 (22.5 – 20)
22.5 – x = 7.5
∴ x = 15
So, Mode = 15.
Keep visiting BYJU’S to learn more such different maths articles. Also, register now to download various maths materials like sample papers, question papers, NCERT solutions and get several video lessons to learn more effectively.