World UFO Day is observed every year to spread awareness about Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs). The main aim to celebrate the day is to acknowledge the existence of UFOs. Earlier, this day was celebrated on two different dates by people, some celebrated it on 24 June, while the others observed it on 2 July. Later, 2 July was officially declared as World UFO Day.
As UPSC surprises aspirants with questions linked with what usually is assumed to be trivia; it is advisable that one must scroll through the facts about World UFO Day to get the basic information. It might be your lucky day during UPSC Prelims if at all a question is asked from this topic.
Facts About World UFO Day for UPSC Exam-
Read the below-mentioned facts about World UFO Day; and aid your IAS Exam preparation along with other competitive exams’ preparation.
First World UFO Day
It was celebrated in 2001 by UFO researcher Haktan Akdogan.
Why it is celebrated on 2 July
To commemorate the supposed UFO crash incident in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947.
World UFO Day Organisation (WUFODO) declared 2 July as the official World UFO day.
The topic can be asked as a Current Affairs Question in IAS Prelims. Visit the attached link to attempt practice quizzes on current affairs.
To read more about the other Important International and National Days, click on the link. Such days and events become very important for UPSC Prelims.
What is a UFO?
- A UFO is an unidentified flying object which is generally considered anomalies that are completely unidentifiable.
- UFO is an object in the sky that is not identifiable as any known object or even a natural phenomenon.
- The title of UFO was originally created in 1953 by the United States Air Force to record and review any instances where a flying object was logged in official reporting.
About the Significance of World UFO Day
- The day is observed to spread awareness about the undoubted existence of UFOs and the intelligent beings from outer space.
- One of the objectives of this day is to celebrate camaraderie and solidarity among people who believe in the existence of another world of aliens and extraterrestrial beings.
- Stock of the evidence presented by the members of the group about the existence of aliens is also taken on this day.
- Major objective behind celebrating World UFO Day is to encourage governments worldwide to reveal their flies on UFO sightings and related information.
- It is a day dedicated for everyone to pause and ponder the possibility that we are not alone in the Universe.
As UPSC 2022 approaches, use BYJU’S free Daily Video Analysis of The Hindu Newspaper to augment your preparation
Why was World UFO Day celebrated on two different dates?
- Earlier some people celebrated the day on June 24 which is the date on which aviator Kenneth Arnold reported a UFO sighting for the first time in the United States.
- Kenneth Arnold’s UFO sightings: Kenneth Arnold was an American aviator who claimed to have seen nine objects flying one behind the other, which could not be identified, while he was flying his aircraft near Mount Rainier, Washington on 24 June, 1947.
- Arnold’s claim was the first to start these theories around alien objects on Earth.
- Since it was the first time such an object was seen, and no proof was found, the US Air Force formally listed the Arnold case as a ‘mirage’.
- Some people observed the day on July 2 which is the day when the supposed Roswell UFO crash took place in 1947.
- Roswell Incident (1947): In July 1947, a crash took place near Roswell in New Mexico which led to the speculation that the object was a “flying disc“.
- It was the most popular of UFO-lore, it was the first recorded ‘UFO crash’ outside a ranch in Roswell, New Mexico.
- Alien invasion theories floated around until the US military stepped in and clarified that the debris came from a crashed experimental weather balloon.
- Later 2 July was officially declared as World UFO Day by the World UFO Day Organization (WUFODO).
How is World UFO Day celebrated?
- People on World UFO Day gather together and watch the skies for UFOs.
- UFO enthusiasts gathered around the world in known UFO hotspots like Roswell, New Mexico and share stories, provide support for other believers, and watch in the night about UFOs.
- The World UFO Day Organisation(WUFODO) celebrates the day by creating awareness about UFOs and popularising the belief that humans are not the only beings in the Universe.
Candidates can also take assistance from BYJU’S Free IAS Prep and get the latest and updated study material, best preparation tips, download previous year question papers and more to excel in the UPSC CSE.