The Common Admission Test is one of the most competitive tests held in India annually. The CAT can be undertaken by graduates from almost all streams. The exam attracts a huge competition from all the MBA aspirants who endeavor admissions in the IIMs or other prestigious B-schools in the country.
This exam is also one of the toughest exams in the country since it has neither a pre-defined syllabus nor a proper exam pattern. Thus, the candidates often get confused as the pattern of the exam changes almost every year.
The examiners made some major changes in CAT 2015 exam pattern by introducing sectional timing and TITA (Type In The Answer) type questions. This pattern was repeated in CAT 2016 and remained unchanged in CAT 2017 also. The pattern is also expected to be same in CAT 2018. An expected CAT 2018 exam pattern is given below:
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
|Section Name||Number of Questions||Duration|
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||34||60|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||VA: 10||
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||DI: 16||
|Total||100||180 (3 hours)|
Other important points for CAT 2018 exam:
- The exam will be conducted in two sessions on a single day: Morning (9am-12pm) and evening (2pm-5pm).
- The exam will be a computer-based test.
- The exam will be of 300 marks and the candidates cannot switch between the sections.
- A non-scientific and onscreen calculator is provided and no other electronic devices are allowed inside the room.
- An on-screen timer is also present on the computer screen which shows the remaining time for the respective sections.
- There is a negative marking of 1 mark for each incorrect answer.
Being one of the toughest exams in the country, the CAT exam surely requires the candidates to be extremely prepared and well-versed with all the syllabus topics to ace the exam. So, it is very important to know the proper CAT exam syllabus and pattern to get prepared to face the competition.
The CAT exam is generally conducted in the month of December every year while the registration starts in August. The notification for CAT 2018 is expected to be released by the end of July and the registration is expected to start by the first week of August. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to get more info on CAT exam 2018 along with effective preparation tips, latest notifications, and previous year question papers.