International Theatre Olympics
- The Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 8th international Theatre Olympics 2018 at the majestic Red Fort in New Delhi.
- The 51-day-long event will be theatrical extravaganza is being hosted in India by the National School of Drama under the aegis of Ministry of Culture.
- The theme of the 8th Theatre Olympics is “Flag of Friendship” that aims to bridge borders and bring people of different cultures, beliefs and ideologies together through the medium of theatrical art.
- The National School of Drama is the torchbearer of theatre in India and has trained some of the most respected actors and theatre stalwarts of all time. Established in 1959, it has a proud legacy spanning over six decades of theatrical perfection.
- The festival is considered the biggest international celebration of theatre in terms of plays, participants, performances and number of days.
- Participants from 30 countries including Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Mauritius, Nepal, Poland, Russia, Sri Lanka, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, U.K and U.S.A would showcase their acumen in theatre.
PM pays tributes to Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa on his birth anniversary
- Ramakrishna Parmahamsa is perhaps the best known saint of nineteenth century India.
- He was born on February 18, 1836 in Kamarpukur village, Hoogly District, Bengal Presidency
- His philosophy is famously known as Advaita Vedanta.
Union Home Minister meets J&K youth under Youth Exchange Programme ‘Watan ko Jano’
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh met the youth of Jammu and Kashmir under the Youth Exchange Programme “Watan Ko Jano” 2017-18.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has been organising programme “Watan Ko Jano” to give exposure to the youth and children of Jammu and Kashmir about the cultural and socio-economic development taking place in other parts of the country.
- Youth and children hit by militancy and from weaker sections of the society have been identified for the purpose.
- Around 200 youth from the state are on a visit to different places of the country as part of the programme from 11thFeb-20th Feb, 2018.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.