PM’s address in 45th episode of Mann Ki Baat
- In his 45th Mann ki Baat program PM spoke about this 21st of June, the fourth Yoga Day presented the rarest of sights. The whole world appeared as one entity. In the European Parliament in Brussels, at the UN headquarters in New York, on Japanese naval warships, there were sights of people performing yoga.
- PM also mentioned about Doctor’s Day on 1st of July, this is a day when the nation celebrates the achievements of our doctors and expresses gratitude for their spirit of service and commitment towards society.
- PM talked about Sant Kabir Das ji and said the true saint is the one who recognizes & understands the sufferings of others. Those who do not feel the pain of others are insensitive, uncompassionate. Kabir Das ji laid great emphasis on social cohesion. He was a thinker way ahead of his times.
- In the year 2019, 100 years of the horrific incident of Jallianwala Bagh will come to a full circle, it was an incident that embarrassed the entire humanity. Who can forget that dark day of April 13, 1919, when abusing all limits of power, crossing all the boundaries of cruelty; the guiltless, unarmed and innocent people were fired upon.
- How can we remember the completion of 100 years of this horrific event is something we can all give a thought to, but we must also remember the everlasting message that this incident has imparted that is – violence and cruelty can never solve any problem. It is peace and non-violence, renunciation and martyrdom that are triumphant in the end!
- PM talked about Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee who was the youngest vice-chancellor of the University of Calcutta at merely 33 years of age.
- Very few people would also be knowing that in 1937, on the invitation of Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee, Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore addressed the convocation in Kolkata University in Bangla. This was the first time under British rule that the convocation in Kolkata University had been addressed to in Bangla.
- From 1947 to 1950, Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee was the first Industries minister of India and, in a sense, he laid a strong foundation for India’s industrial development, he had prepared a solid base, it was he who had prepared a stout platform.
- The first industrial policy of Independent India, which came in 1948, was stamped with his ideas and vision. Dr. Mukherjee’s dream was for India to be industrially self-reliant, competent and prosperous in every sphere.
National Awards for Outstanding Services in the Field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse
- The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind will present the “Fourth National Awards for outstanding services in the field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse” to the institutions and individuals on the occasion of ‘International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking’ (26th June, 2018) at a function organized by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment celebrates 26th June every year as International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- The Government of India has instituted a Scheme of the National Awards for outstanding services in the field of prevention of Alcoholism & Substance (Drug) Abuse from the year 2013.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.