The CBI has asked the Commission for Control of Interpol’s Files (CCF) to restore the Red Notice against fugitive diamantaire Mehul Chinubhai Choksi. In this article, you can read all about the latest developments in this regard and important facts for the IAS exam such as the different notices of the Interpol and their meanings, CBI’s functions and powers, etc.
About Mehul Choksi Case
- Mehul Choksi is a wanted economic offender in India in connection with the alleged ₹20,000 crore scam at Punjab National Bank.
- Choksi and his nephew, Nirav Modi, are prime accused in the bank fraud case.
- They left the country secretly nearly a month before the CBI registered a case in January 2018.
- Choksi has given up his Indian citizenship and now has citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda, a Caribbean island country.
- Nirav Modi is lodged at a jail in London.
- The CBI has asked the Commission for Control of Interpol’s Files (CCF) to restore the Red Notice against Mehul Choksi.
- The earlier notice was deleted and his name was removed from the database after his alleged abduction.
- The CCF is a separate body within Interpol independent of the control of the Interpol Secretariat.
- The CCF is staffed by elected lawyers from various nations.
What is a Red-Corner-Notice?
- It is a request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person whose extradition, surrender, or similar legal action is pending.
- Such notices are issued for fugitives wanted either for prosecution or to serve a sentence.
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is officially designated as the National Central Bureau of India entrusted with the responsibility to publish, maintain and update the Red Corner Notices.
Significance of the CBI’s move
- The agency is trying hard to reinstate the red corner notice against the offender to get a hold of him and to deliver justice.
- It has highlighted the procedural lapses on the part of the CCF.
- It will further exercise available remedial and appellate options within Interpol for rectification of this faulty decision.
Interpol Notice against Choksi:- Download PDF Here
|National Investigation Agency||Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO)|
|Central Intelligence And Investigative Agencies In India||Indian Government Ministries, Departments & Other Agencies|
|UPSC Calendar 2023||UPSC Eligibility Criteria|