With effect from June 2021, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities has made it mandatory for all states and UTs of the country to issue a disability certificate to eligible people only through the online mode via the UDID portal. Know more about the UDID project in this article.
Government schemes are an important part of the UPSC exam, for the polity and governance segments.
What is the UDID Project?
The UDID Project was launched in 2016 by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India.
- The chief objective of the project is to create a national database for Persons with Disability (PwD) and to issue a Disability Identity Card to such persons.
- The project is expected to improve the ease with which government benefits can be delivered uniformly to PwDs.
- It will also enhance transparency and efficiency in the process.
- The UDID project will also help in streamlining the tracking of physical and financial progress of beneficiaries at all levels of hierarchy of implementation – from village level, block level, district level, state level and national level.
- The idea is to build a holistic and integrated seamless system of issuing ID cards for PwDs that includes their identity as well as disability details.
Salient Features of UDID Project
The important features of the UDID Project are listed below.
- Online availability of information about PwDs from all over India through a centralized web application.
- Eligible persons can fill and submit their registration application form for certificate of disability online.
- The assessment process for calculating the disability percentage by medical board/hospitals will be expedited.
- Non-duplication of PwDs data.
- PwDs can renew and update relevant information online.
- The project will enable the effective management of the schemes launched by the government for physically disabled people.
UDID Project Benefits
The benefits of the UDID Project are given below.
- The disability card will contain all the necessary information about PwDs that can be captured by a reader. This will ensure that PwDs do not have to make multiple copies of their documents and papers making it easier and convenient for them to avail of benefits that are due to them.
- The UDID card will be the single document of identification, verification of the disabled for availing various benefits in future.
- This will facilitate the various authorities at the state/district/national/village levels to track the physical and financial progress of the beneficiaries.
Unique Disability ID Card Download
In this section, we give you a brief outline of how to download the Disability ID Card or the UDID Card online.
- PwDs should register themselves with the UDID Portal.
- After that, they can log in and apply online on the portal for the disability certificate and the UDID card.
- They can download and print the card when the card is issued.
- Applicants can track the status of their application online, and also use the online mode for renewing or applying for a new card in case of loss of their old cards.
- PwDs can locate their CMO Office/Medical Authority for assessment of disability, District Welfare Officer to receive assistance and to know about the various schemes for Persons with Disabilities. They will also be able to view the latest news/announcements pertaining to disabilities.
- Disability Certificate Issuing Authorities (CMO Office/Medical Authority) will use this application to record the details of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) and issue Disability Certificate/UDID Card electronically.
- The card will be issued after the medical assessment is done and the medical assessment details are submitted on the portal.
The list of disabilities covered under the project are mentioned below:
- Cerebral palsy
- Low vision
- Locomotor disability
- Mental retardation
- Mental illness
- Hearing impairment
UDID Project Need
According to Census 2011, there are 2.68 crore Persons with Disabilities in India, which is a little more than 2% of the total population of the country. There is no data of PwDs giving personal details, disability-wise, district-wise, education and employment-wise, etc. being maintained.
Disabled people can receive government assistance and benefits on the basis of the disability certificate issued to them. Currently, only about 50% of the PwDs have been issued certificates by the states/UTs. Also, with the passing of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, the number of listed disabilities have increased from 7 to 21.
Know more about persons with disabilities in the link.
UDID Project:- Download PDF Here