TABLE OF CONTENT
A. GS1 Related: B. GS2 Related: POLITY 1. Will not follow notification on cattle sale, says Mamata 2. No decision to exclude buffalo from 'cattle' INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS 1. North Korea fires missile toward waters near Japan 2. India, Pakistan set to enter SCO amid differences over terrorism 3. China warns India over Dhola-Sadiya bridge in Arunachal Pradesh C. GS3 Related: INTERNAL SECURITY / DISASTER MANAGEMENT 1. More Akash systems for Army D. GS4 Related: E. Concepts-in-News: Related Concepts to Revise/Learn F. Bills/Acts/Schemes/Orgs in News G. Practice Questions for UPSC Prelims Exam
UPSC Current Affairs 2017: News Analysis
A. GS1 Related
Nothing here for today!!
- Centre Government issued notification imposing new restrictions on sale of cattle for slaughter in animal markets under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 (PCA)..
- States like West Bengal and Kerala are against such a move
- What do States say?
- Ban is undemocratic and unconstitutional.
- Cattle markets fall under the purview of the State, the Centre was encroaching on the powers of the State in imposing restrictions on such markets.
- Such an attempt is an attack on the federal structure and secular principles enshrined in our Constitution of India.
- Central government: No decision for any modification in the definition of ‘cattle’ to exempt buffaloes from the purview of new central rules.
- The new rule prohibit sale of cows, bulls, bullocks, buffaloes, steers, heifers, calves and camels for slaughter or sacrifice in livestock markets.
- Under the rules, the definition ‘cattle’ includes cows, buffaloes, bulls, bullocks, steers, calves & camels.
- North Korea test fired a medium-range ballistic missile- Rodong.
- Missile flew about 1,000 kilometers (one of the longest flights) and landed near Japan’s territorial waters.
- The missile landed inside Japan’s exclusive economic zone, the 200-nautical-mile offshore area where a nation has sovereign rights for exploring and exploiting resources.
- Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe response: It imposes a serious threat to Japan’s security and it is unforgivable act of violence toward Japan’s security.
Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD:
- Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), formerly Theater High Altitude Area Defense, is a United States Army anti-ballistic missile defense system designed to shoot down short, medium, and intermediate range ballistic missiles in their terminal phase by intercepting with a hit-to-kill approach.
- S has installed this system in South Korea, to cope up with North Korea’s increasing military threats.
- North Korea called the system a provocation that it says is only aimed at bolstering U.S. military hegemony in the region.
- India and Pakistan will formally join the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) at a formal ceremony in Beijing on June 15.
- The entry of the two South Asian countries will make the SCO the world’s largest regional cooperative organization representing the biggest section of global population
- Aim of SCO: boost trade and military relationship between countries in China’s neighborhood.
- Decision to allow India to join SCO came after India boycotted China’s much-touted Belt and Road Forum.
- Whether SCO will provide China and Russia an opportunity to mediate in the differences between India and Pakistan.
- But India refuses to permit external influence in its bilateral dealings with Islamabad.
- The SCO should promote security cooperation to combat the “three forces” of terrorism, separatism, and extremism in a more precise and efficient manner, so as to safeguard the sovereignty and homeland security of all members and maintain the regional peace and stability.
- China is willing to work with Russia and other member countries to promote the SCO solidarity and make cooperations among SCO members more efficient and more effective.
Context: Days after Prime Narendra Modi launched the country’s longest bridge linking Assam with Arunachal Pradesh .
- China asked India to be “cautious” and exercise “restraint” over building infrastructure in Arunachal Pradesh.
- China and India fought a brief war in 1962 when the Chinese entered Arunachal Pradesh and un ilaterally declared a ceasefire after withdrawing to the McMahon Line.
- China has long been building infrastructure along the border unlike India, which, experts say, avoided building roads in the region, fearing a repeat of the 1962 war when the People’s Liberation Army troops entered Assam.
C. GS3 Related
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Arun Jaitley decided to procure two additional regiments of the indigenously developed Akash missile systems.
- Akash is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile defense system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) for Missile Systems, Ordnance Factories Board and Bharat Electronics (BEL) for other Systems in India.
- The missile system can target aircraft up to 30 km away, at altitudes up to 18,000 m.
- It has the capability to “neutralise aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles and air-to-surface missiles” as well as ballistic missiles.It is in operational service with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.
Nothing here for Today!!!
Article in News
|About the article|
Question 1: ‘SHAKTI’, a scheme recently approved by the Union Cabinet, is
- A rural women-empowerment initiative by inculcating in them a habit of savings and proper utilisation of financial resources
- A special loan scheme aimed at supporting entrepreneurship among urban women by providing certain concessions
- A campaign to convince state governments to devolve ‘ownership’ of planning and development functions in panchayat samitis and gram panchayats
- A new coal allocation policy for the power sector
Question 2: In H1N1 virus ,what does H and N stands for
- Haemagglutinin and Neuraminidase
- Haemoglobulin and Neuraminidase
- Haemagglutinin and Neuroglutin
- None of the above
Question 3: The Supreme Court’s power to hear Inter-State Water Disputes can be classified under its
- Original Jurisdiction
- Appellate Jurisdiction
- Writ Jurisdiction
- Advisory Jurisdiction
Question 4: Consider the following statement with reference to Bidiriware
- Bidriware is a metal handicraft from Bidar.
- The metal used is a blackened alloy of zinc(90%) and copper(10%) inlaid with thin sheets of pure silver.
- This native art form has obtained Geographical Indications (GI) registry
Choose the correct answers
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- All are correct
“Proper Current Affairs preparation is the key to success in the UPSC- Civil Services Examination. We have now launched a comprehensive ‘Online Current Affairs Crash Course’. Limited seats available. Click here to Know More.”
Practice More: Enroll for India’s Largest All-India Test Series