Deendayal Antodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission
- It is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) that seeks to alleviate rural poverty through building sustainable community institutions of the poor.
- The centrally sponsored programme is implemented in partnership with the State governments.
- During FY 17-18, 820 additional blocks were covered under the “Intensive” strategy.
- Cumulatively, the Mission is being implemented in 4,459 blocks spread across 586 districts of 29 States and 5 Union Territories (UTs).
Community Institution Building
- The financial year 2017-18 has seen more than 82 lakh households mobilized into 6.96 lakh Self Help Group (SHGs) across the country.
- Cumulatively, more than 4.75 crore women have been mobilized into more than 40 lakh SHGs.
- As part of its financial inclusion strategy, the Mission closely works with the Department of Financial Services (DFS), Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Indian Bank Associations (IBA) to provide bank credit to SHGs.
- 1.55 lakh crore worth of bank credit has been leveraged by the SHGs during the last five years.
- About 1,518 SHG members have been deployed as Banking Correspondents Agents (BCAs) to provide last mile financial services.
- DAY-NRLM also provides Interest Subvention to women SHGs availing bank loans amounting to Rs.3.00 lakhs, to subsidize the cost of borrowing.
- The interest subvention effectively reduces the cost of borrowing to 7% per annum.
- An additional interest subvention of 3% is also allowed on timely repayment of loans, reducing the effective interest rate to 4% per annum.
Mahila Kisan Shashaktikaran Pariyojana and Value Chain Initiatives
- In order to promote agro-ecological practices that increase women farmers’ income and reduce their input costs and risks, the Mission has been implementing the
- As of March 2018, more than 33 lakh women farmers were being supported under this scheme.
- These value chain development initiatives have contributed significantly to the farmers’ income from agriculture, horticulture, dairying, fisheries and Non-Timber Forest Produce (NTFP) related activities.
Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme & Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana
- As part of its non-farm livelihoods strategy, DAY-NRLM is implementing Start-Up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP) and Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana(AGEY).
- SVEP aims to support entrepreneurs in rural areas to set up local enterprises.
- AGEY was launched in August 2017 to provide safe, affordable and community monitored rural transport services to connect remote rural villages.
Deendayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- It is another sub scheme under DAY.
- DDUGKY aims at building placement linked skills of the rual youth and place them in relatively higher wage employment sectors of the economy.
- KAUSHAL PANJEE- mobile app for registration of prospective training candidates has been launched.
- The CIPET and Indo German Tool rooms have also been engaged as Project Implementing Agency of DDUGKY program for high end training with better placement & salary.
Rural Self Employment Training Institutes
- The Mission, in partnership with 31 Banks and State Governments, is supporting Rural Self Employment Institutes (RSETIs) for skilling of rural youth to take up gainful self-employment.
- At present 586 RSETIs in the country are supported by the Mission.
National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
- Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers Mansukh L. Mandaviya, while giving a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today on steps taken/being taken by the Government to bring transparency in fixing prices of essential/lifesaving medicines across the country, informed that the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) fixes the prices of Scheduled medicines and new drugs as per the provisions of Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 2013 (DPCO, 2013).
- 827.25 crore recovered from pharmaceutical companies in overcharging cases till February 2018
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.