Van Dhan Vikas Kendra
- The Ministry of Tribal affairs has approved establishment of the first multipurpose “Van Dhan Vikas Kendra” on pilot basis for establishment in Bijapur District of Chhattisgarh State.
- It has been setup for providing skill upgradation and capacity building training and setting up of primary processing and value addition facility.
- This first model Van Dhan Vikas Kendra is being implemented for training of 300 beneficiaries with a total outlay of Rs 43.38 lakhs for training, providing equipment’s & tools for primary level processing and infrastructure & building for housing the Kendra.
- This Kendra to start with will have processing facility for Tamarind brick making, Mahua flower storage facility and chironjee cleaning and packaging.
- TRIFED has assigned the work for establishment of this pilot Vikas Kendra in Bijapur District of Chattisgarh to CGMFP Federation and Collector, Bijapur would be the coordinating force.
- The selection of the tribal beneficiaries and formation of the SHGs has been undertaken by TRIFED and the training is scheduled to start from 10thApril, 2018.
- The Van Dhan Vikas Kendras will be an important milestone in economic development of tribals involved in collection of MFPs by helping them in optimum utilization of natural resources and provide sustainable MFP-based livelihood in MFP-rich districts.
Minor Forest Produce (MFP)
- MFP is a major source of livelihood for tribals living in forest areas.
- Tribals derive 20-40% of their annual income from MFP on which they spend major portion of their time.
- Forest rights Act, PESA Act and has been implementing schemes for development of MFP by providing financial support to State TDCCs and TRIFED for market development of MFPs.
- of India has introduced an ambitious scheme of“Mechanism for marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support price (MSP) and development of Value chain for MFP”.
Swadhar Greh Scheme
- This scheme is being implemented by The Ministry of Women and Child Development which targets the women victims of difficult circumstances who are in need of institutional support for rehabilitation so that they could lead their life with dignity.
- The Scheme envisages providing shelter, food, clothing and health as well as economic and social security for these women.
Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme
- Government of India has approved a new scheme namely Mahila Shakti Kendra for 2017-18 upto 2019-20 to empower rural women through community participation.
- The scheme is envisaged to work at various levels, and at the National level (domain based knowledge support) and State level (State Resource Centre for Women) technical support to the respective governments on issues related to women is provided.
- Community engagement through College Student Volunteers is envisioned in 115 most backward districts as part of the Block Level initiatives.
- Student volunteers will play an instrumental role in awareness generation regarding various important government schemes/ programmes as well as social issues.
- The Scheme is implemented through the State Government /UT Administration with a cost sharing ratio of 60:40 between centre and states except for NE & Special Category States where the funding ratio is 90:10.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.