Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
BWF World Championship
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated P. V. Sindhu on winning Gold at BWF Championship.
About BWF World Championship
- The BWF World Championships is held every year except for the year of an Olympic Games.
- It is a showcase of the very best in the sport and it determines who are the World Champions in each of the five disciplines, men’s and women’s singles, men’s and women’s doubles and mixed doubles.
- The first World Championships was hosted in Malmo Sweden in 1977, and the Championship was held every three years until 1983, after which, it became a biennial event until 2003. Since 2005 however, the BWF World Championships has become an annual tournament.
- PV Sindhu won the gold medal at the BWF World Championships. She became the first Indian to bag a gold medal at the World Championships.
Chief of the Air Staff visits Thailand
Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee and Chief of the Air Staff is embarking on a three day visit to Thailand.
India and Thailand
- Bilateral defence relations between India and Thailand have gained momentum consequent to India’s ‘’Look/ Act East Policy’.
- Along with overall improvement in relations at political, economic and cultural levels. Joint Working Group on Security Cooperation, initiated in May 2003, had nominated Military Cooperation as one of the seven primary areas of focus to strengthen cooperation.
- This was re-enforced in the joint statement issued during Thai Prime Minister’s official visit to India in Jan 2012. India and Thailand have commemorated the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations in 2017.
- Such visits and cooperation will contribute, in the medium and long term, towards India being a natural partner of Thailand for regional collaborative security initiatives.
- The participation of the Indian Chairman COSC would provide further impetus towards increasing defence cooperation with Thailand and pave the way for greater interaction and cooperation in future.
|Act East Policy||India’s Look East Policy|
|Indian foreign policy – An overview||Achievements Of India’s Foreign Policy|
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.