Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Cyclone Warning Centre
- The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences is proposing to set up a Cyclone Warning Centre in Thiruvananthapuram in another one month.
- IMD at present has cyclone warning centres only at Chennai, Vishakhapatnam, Bhubaneswar, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
- The Centre will cater to the needs of Kerala and Karnataka states and will be equipped with all state of the art infrastructure including forecasting tools to issue weather warnings and coastal bulletins (for fishermen,etc.).
- The Ministry is also planning to set up another C-Band Doppler Weather Radar at Mangalore by end of 2019, which will cover the northern parts of Kerala.
International Buddhist Conclave 2018
- The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the “International Buddhist Conclave (IBC), 2018” in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 23rd August, 2018.
- During the inaugural session of the Conclave, the Ministry will launch its website landofbuddha.in and a new film showcasing the Buddhist sites in the country.
- The delegates from 29 countries are participating in the International Buddhist Conclave.
- International Buddhist Conclave 2018 will have a religious / spiritual dimension, an academic theme and a diplomatic and business component.
- IBC-2018 will feature presentations by the Ministry of Tourism and State Governments, Panel discussion between scholars and monks and B2B meetings between the foreign and Indian tour operators.
- The Ministry has also planned to organize an ‘Investors’ Summit’ during the Conclave to attract investments in developing world class infrastructure at Buddhist sites.
- To showcase and project the Buddhist Heritage in India and boost tourism to the Buddhist sites in the country and cultivate friendly ties with countries and communities interested in Buddhism.
- India has a rich ancient Buddhist Heritage with several important sites associated with the life of Lord Buddha.
- The Indian Buddhist Heritage is of great interest to the followers of Buddhism the world over.
- The most precious gift that the Ancient India has given to the World is, the Buddha and his Path, which is, the Eight-fold Path, in Pali language, Aṭṭhangiko Maggo.
- ‘Buddha Path’ on one hand refers to the extraordinary Teachings of the Buddha which is also called the Middle Path which when practiced brings purity of mind and leads to Peace, Happiness and Harmony within and also in the Society as well.
- The Buddha Path provides quality of life based on Values as moral principles, or other ideas that guide our choices; Right beliefs, connection to nature and place with spirituality; Way of Life, daily practices, good habits and inspiring traditional skills for mental growth, thereby, making it the Living Heritage.
- TRIFED has made record procurement of tribal products worth Rs.204.88 Lakhs in the month of July, 2018 and cumulative procurement of Rs.769.36 Lakhs during the current financial year.
- The above purchases during the month of July, 2018 have been made from 149 Tribal Producers associated with 23,127 tribal families giving livelihood to approximately 64,755 tribal beneficiaries.
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) is a national-level apex organization functioning, since 1987, under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India, striving to promote the economic development of the Tribal communities of the country through marketing development and sustained upgradation of their skills and products.
- The approach involves capacity building, imparting need-based trainings, and exploring marketing possibilities for products in national as well as international markets, brand building & creating opportunities for marketing on sustainable basis.
- TRIFED’s sole objective is to bring about a multi-dimensional transformation of the tribal society and a shift in the perception of their existing image.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.